Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How about an Oreo?

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

I'm tempted to order one myself after seeing the Barry Maz review the other day, also. I'm pretty sure my next ukulele will be able to be plugged in so I'm looking for video with a plugged in Oreo to see how it sounds. Haven't found one yet. In time......

I’m lucky enough to live in Wisconsin and work in Minnesota—and to be involved in activities where Pete and Shelley Mai (Bonanza) bring their instruments. I have bought one for myself and a customized one for my school. Both are wood ukuleles, as My personality doesn’t really match the HPL patterns.

Pete is a tinkerer, and he just keeps trying things and adding new features. It’s remarkable—in an era where most companies have stopped innovating. The only things you can’t get are custom necks or inlays (laser engraving, of course, is available).

My favorite ukuleles are my KoAlohas, due to the sound. But my most comfortable ukulele is my Bonanza Amoeba.

I’ve been in love with the looks of the cut out Oreo from the day I saw it...and I’m also the person that first called it an Oreo. I played a bunch of them at the Two Harbors Festival (and made a video—available on YouTube) and I will eventually own an Oreo. I’m thinking a tenor body with concert neck.

As for pickups, Pete can out anything in there. I might add a MiSi, too.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Quote Originally Posted by Choirguy View Post
    I’m lucky enough to live in Wisconsin and work in Minnesota—and to be involved in activities where Pete and Shelley Mai (Bonanza) bring their instruments. I have bought one for myself and a customized one for my school. Both are wood ukuleles, as My personality doesn’t really match the HPL patterns.

Pete is a tinkerer, and he just keeps trying things and adding new features. It’s remarkable—in an era where most companies have stopped innovating. The only things you can’t get are custom necks or inlays (laser engraving, of course, is available).

My favorite ukuleles are my KoAlohas, due to the sound. But my most comfortable ukulele is my Bonanza Amoeba.

I’ve been in love with the looks of the cut out Oreo from the day I saw it...and I’m also the person that first called it an Oreo. I played a bunch of them at the Two Harbors Festival (and made a video—available on YouTube) and I will eventually own an Oreo. I’m thinking a tenor body with concert neck.

As for pickups, Pete can out anything in there. I might add a MiSi, too.
    Yes, my KoAlohas are also my favorites. A poll here confirmed that KoAlohas are the most preferred.

It's nice to know that you were the one who originated that Oreo name. I hate waiting for things to arrive. On Friday, I should receive the Klos that I ordered on June 1. Four months is a long time to wait.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

I just bought Bonanza Baritone Black Walnut Oreo #291 from Pete and Shelley at the Ohio Ukulele Campout last weekend. What a great couple of people.

The uke plays great, sounds great. Just lovely sounding.
    82D6A709-1F05-44D9-8454-CEDD2625CCFC.jpg

Pete concocted a fun new game called a Flash Songs. Wooden chips, where you draw from boxes containing words and phrases about Who, What, Where, etc. You may then reorder them however you wish and you must create a song. It was fun. I did it a couple times.

If you are ever at an event where Pete and Shelly are, be sure to say hi. Wonderful folks they are.
    •Bonanza Black Walnut Oreo #291
    •Framus 6197 Tenor
    •Gretsch G9470 Clarophone Banjo Ukulele
    •Hadean UKB22 UBass Zebrawood
    •Ibanez Uew10qm Ew Concert
    •Kala KA-S Soprano
    •Kala KA-SSTU-T Travel Tenor
    •Kay Soprano (Plastic Fretboard 1950s)
    •Koalana Soprano (first gen.)
    •Lanakai LB6-S Soprano Banjolele
    •Lanakai LQA-C Concert
    •Lanakai LU21T Tenor
    •Luna Tattoo Electric Concert
    •Outdoor Ukulele Black #35
    •Outdoor Ukulele Transparent
    •Werco Metal Necked Soprano
    •Zeynel Abidin Cumbus Ukulele

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    It was Barry's review that made me buy it.
    That man has much to answer for!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffelele View Post
    That man has much to answer for!
    Definitely!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Well ...... did you receive it and how do you like it? I met Pete and Shelley in January at the Brown County Ukulele Festival in Nashville Indiana. Very, very nice people and some beautiful instruments. Unfortunately at the time I didn’t have the funds to invest in yet another ukulele but there’s always next year.
    Hricane tenor,
    Kala mahogany tenor KA-SMHT-SC,
    Alvarez Baritone,
    Mainland mahogany tenor w/Mi-Si pickup,
    Kala Elite Koa 2 tenor

“You don’t have to be good to play the ukulele, I’m living proof.”

I owned a Bonanza long-neck soprano and wound up selling it because I'm generally not comfortable with tenor scale (though I do own an Islander). I have no other complaints with it, though, and was hoping Santa would leave a soprano or concert Oreo under the tree! They're really fine ukes, especially when you consider the personal touches Pete and Shelley add.
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I am keen on the baritone, the thin line worries me a bit. Is the tone and sustain as good as deeper uke with the special construction he uses?

Thanks for the link to the review. I really like the look. Congrats Jerry!

Thread Information