How about an Oreo?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Oh my, Jerry, those look very interesting! I can only imagine the number of forum members who thought their acquisition syndrome had finally settled down, who are now going "Hmmmmmmmm..., maybe just ONE more...."

Congrats on the purchase. I was in the same frame of mind when I read the review. When I saw that it was reasonably priced it took a great deal of restraint to keep from adding another to the collection.

Congrats! I too thought seriously about getting one. Outrageously fun. Let us know how it sounds and plays.

Interesting ukulele. Enjoy!

I must be really hungry. Right now I'd rather have a cookie than a new ukulele. LOL. But, after dinner, my UAS might flare up again. :)

Mine will arrive in 4-6 weeks...These are made by a husband and wife team in MN, so production is slow
Good for you Jerry!

6 weeks is pretty darn quick for a “made to order” build even if it isn’t exactly “custom”. Especially with all the orders they’ve been getting lately.

Walnut/aspen will be a very classy combo, although I’m not sure there is a bad combo with the woods they are offering now.

Congratulations Jerry, can’t wait to see your NUD on it !!! I really think the woods just as Barry reviewed it are a great choice. :cheers:

I'm tempted to order one myself after seeing the Barry Maz review the other day, also. I'm pretty sure my next ukulele will be able to be plugged in so I'm looking for video with a plugged in Oreo to see how it sounds. Haven't found one yet. In time......

I’m lucky enough to live in Wisconsin and work in Minnesota—and to be involved in activities where Pete and Shelley Mai (Bonanza) bring their instruments. I have bought one for myself and a customized one for my school. Both are wood ukuleles, as My personality doesn’t really match the HPL patterns.

Pete is a tinkerer, and he just keeps trying things and adding new features. It’s remarkable—in an era where most companies have stopped innovating. The only things you can’t get are custom necks or inlays (laser engraving, of course, is available).

My favorite ukuleles are my KoAlohas, due to the sound. But my most comfortable ukulele is my Bonanza Amoeba.

I’ve been in love with the looks of the cut out Oreo from the day I saw it...and I’m also the person that first called it an Oreo. I played a bunch of them at the Two Harbors Festival (and made a video—available on YouTube) and I will eventually own an Oreo. I’m thinking a tenor body with concert neck.

As for pickups, Pete can out anything in there. I might add a MiSi, too.

I’m lucky enough to live in Wisconsin and work in Minnesota—and to be involved in activities where Pete and Shelley Mai (Bonanza) bring their instruments. I have bought one for myself and a customized one for my school. Both are wood ukuleles, as My personality doesn’t really match the HPL patterns.

Pete is a tinkerer, and he just keeps trying things and adding new features. It’s remarkable—in an era where most companies have stopped innovating. The only things you can’t get are custom necks or inlays (laser engraving, of course, is available).

My favorite ukuleles are my KoAlohas, due to the sound. But my most comfortable ukulele is my Bonanza Amoeba.

I’ve been in love with the looks of the cut out Oreo from the day I saw it...and I’m also the person that first called it an Oreo. I played a bunch of them at the Two Harbors Festival (and made a video—available on YouTube) and I will eventually own an Oreo. I’m thinking a tenor body with concert neck.

As for pickups, Pete can out anything in there. I might add a MiSi, too.

Yes, my KoAlohas are also my favorites. A poll here confirmed that KoAlohas are the most preferred.

It's nice to know that you were the one who originated that Oreo name. I hate waiting for things to arrive. On Friday, I should receive the Klos that I ordered on June 1. Four months is a long time to wait.

I just bought Bonanza Baritone Black Walnut Oreo #291 from Pete and Shelley at the Ohio Ukulele Campout last weekend. What a great couple of people.

The uke plays great, sounds great. Just lovely sounding.
82D6A709-1F05-44D9-8454-CEDD2625CCFC.jpg

Pete concocted a fun new game called a Flash Songs. Wooden chips, where you draw from boxes containing words and phrases about Who, What, Where, etc. You may then reorder them however you wish and you must create a song. It was fun. I did it a couple times.

If you are ever at an event where Pete and Shelly are, be sure to say hi. Wonderful folks they are.

Well ...... did you receive it and how do you like it? I met Pete and Shelley in January at the Brown County Ukulele Festival in Nashville Indiana. Very, very nice people and some beautiful instruments. Unfortunately at the time I didn’t have the funds to invest in yet another ukulele but there’s always next year.

I owned a Bonanza long-neck soprano and wound up selling it because I'm generally not comfortable with tenor scale (though I do own an Islander). I have no other complaints with it, though, and was hoping Santa would leave a soprano or concert Oreo under the tree! They're really fine ukes, especially when you consider the personal touches Pete and Shelley add.

I am keen on the baritone, the thin line worries me a bit. Is the tone and sustain as good as deeper uke with the special construction he uses?

Thanks for the link to the review. I really like the look. Congrats Jerry!

Top Bottom