Yamaha Guitalele GL1 needs strings e, a, d, g, b, e

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I have probably been told the answer already and forgot, so, that is the way with us old ones. So anyhow, please give me the e-mail link to buy guitelele strings on line. I am looking to change from a, d, g, c, e, a to e, a, d, g, b, e. I have a 17"scale. I could not find on Amazon.com. Thank you.

Can you post a link of what you got? I’m kinda surprised standard E tuning would work on tenor scale even with high tension classicals. Is it up an octave?

Hi Jim. I do not know the technical stuff. I ordered from Strings and Beyond. I searched their site for guitalele strings and two chocies came up. One for the standard
A set and one for the E set. They have already shipped UPS International so in a few days I will be able to give you the information from the package. They said I should receive them in 1 to 9 days. I sure hope they work and sound good. The Yamaha CS40 I can play with only slight pain sometimes. The Guitalele I can play with no pain so in spite of it being a little cramped I am working hard to make it work. However, it is hard to get use to the A sound when use t E sound.

I just got an e-mail that says: Aquila 153C Red Series Guitalele Strings E Tuning. I will send more when I receive them.

Last edited:
Interesting. Appears to be standard tuning, not up octave. I’ll be curious to hear how you like them. I did not really care for the E strings that came on my C1m baritone scale, but the reds could be a whole different animal.

hello johnnysmash,

For the past years, I've been trying about each and every solution to achieve a standard guitar tuning on a guitalele, and never found one dedicated string set that was satisfactory.
The best results so far have been with Hannabach 815 MT for 1/4 guitar, but these are not cheap and the strings feel too sloppy at E, while they can sing nicely at F#.
The one and only way to achieve a good E tuning with a correct tension on such a small scale is use the five last strings of a standard guitar set, that is E to B which you tune A to E, and add an extra low B or C tuned to E as the lower string. Hannabach low C sounds brighter and is thinner than Savarez low B, but you may have to gently file the slot at the neck to acomodate the thicker diameter.
That said I didn't try the Aquila set for E tuning so I'm curious to hear how you like it so please keep us posted.
Regards,
Gilles

As of the 5th of the month the strings had not yet arrived. We departed Korat, Thailand, home, 0900 5 Oct. They should have arrived by the 9th of October and probably did and are waiting for us to return home. We are currently mixing church business with a vacation. My wife translates for some conferences and such for the church - English to Thai. We will not be back home until about the 24th. I will for sure let you guys know how it goes. We spent 2 days in Tak with friends and another two days in Chang Mai with another set of friends. This morning we traveled up into the mountains to Chang Rai where my wife will translate for 5 days. Then on to Chaiyapohn for about a week and then home. I have my Guitalele and Kala Baritone with me. I am trying to get use to the small size of the guitalele because it is so far the instrument i can play with the least pain and sometimes none. I brought the ukulele with me in case I get bored with the Guitalele.

Wow. I arrived back home two days ago - still no strings. But I did receive them today. I will try to string guitalele tonight. Then I can let you know.

Well I finally have the strings on the guitalele. I like them. Between my Yamaha CS40 and the guitalele there is very little difference in tone. However, when my wife was struming it about 10 feet away from me, it diid have a little ukulele sound mixed in. It is a very nice sound, very close to classical guitar sound. I tuned it down one whole tone for a warmer shound and more sustain.

Strings and Beyond are good people to deal with. I plan to order all of my strings and whatever from them from now on.

Only problem with these strings is they are hard to get to hold. They slide/slip a lot. I broke the B string, I think, not sure, it could have came that way. It broke just about on the bone of the bridge at the top of the guitalele. I went through hell finding a knot that would hold so that I could use the string. The knot is above the bone now up by the tuning gears. Sounds great so no problem there. The 6 string E is a little large and hard to get through the hole. I had to put a knot at the end of each of strings 1-5 to keep them from sliping.

Top Bottom