Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In case hygrometers?

Default In case hygrometers?

Howdy ukers -- does anybody regularly use a hygrometer in their instrument cases? I have been doing a little thinking and shopping around online and I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to effectively measure humidity inside a ukulele case.

I managed to survive last winter with all ukukleles intact using Oasis soundhole humidifiers and no hygrometer for measurement. I have acquired a few nicer instruments since then and I'd like to actually measure the effectiveness of this solution if I can.

I have a two main questions:

Which hygrometer should I buy?
    I have read some recommendations for the Caliber IV digital hygrometer, but I've also read that it is cheaply made, unreliable, and only calibrates within a narrow range. Other digital hygrometers only seem to get even poorer reviews.

I am leaning toward an old school analog model, as those are very simple in design with few opportunities for failure. However, those tend to be a little bulkier thickness-wise, which leads to my next question:

How does one effectively use a hygrometer inside a ukulele case?
    Putting it up into the headstock area or in the accessory compartment, where an inch-thick hygrometer will easily fit, seems like it might make useful readings difficult to obtain. The area I am most concerned with measuring humidity is around the soundboard, where my humidifier is hanging inside the resonating chamber. There are physical barriers in the case between the headstock area and the soundboard that might impede the flow of air between the hygrometer and the humidifier, which is why I am concerned about measurement accuracy with a hygrometer mounted up near the headstock.

So am I totally off base with my thinking on this? Is there a simple solution I am missing? Any experiences you can share will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by MopMan; 09-27-2018 at 07:02 PM.

I use an Oasis electronic hygrometer. It tracks well with my household hygrometer when tested. I keep it in the case where there's a space near the neck and upper bout. I use an Oasis soundhole humidifier. I don't worry about it too much.
    “Justice is like a train that is nearly always late,” mused Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko.”

“62,400 repetitions make one truth.” - Bernard Marx, character in Brave New World, Alduous Huxley

Dig In-finity! - The Naz, in the words of Lord Buckley

I use the Oasis sound hole humidifiers and the Oasis hydrometers in every instrument case. Those hydrometers keep a historic record of highs and lows. Note though that any relatively inexpensive hydrometer is not a scientific instrument and therefore expect a deviation from actual. After a year or two I have just performed a calibration exercise on my Oasis Hydrometers. Of the 3 that I just calibrated using the Boveda Hydrometer Calibration kit one was spot on, one read -2% and one read +2% from actual. I consider that within an acceptable standard deviation.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I have too many ukes to buy a hygrometer for every case, but the reviews I've seen were not good. Why get an instrument that isn't accurate? Hopefully, someone will know of an accurate, reliable model that costs less than a ukulele.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    I use the Oasis sound hole humidifiers and the Oasis hydrometers in every instrument case.
    Thanks! That's two votes for the Oasis.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 10-02-2018 at 02:40 AM.

Or skip the electronics and use D'Addario Planet Waves Humidipaks. They maintain a constant humidity, absorbing moisture if too humid, and giving off moisture if too dry. Replace them when they get dry out and get hard. They can be restored by putting them back in their zip-lock package and adding water.
    “Justice is like a train that is nearly always late,” mused Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko.”

“62,400 repetitions make one truth.” - Bernard Marx, character in Brave New World, Alduous Huxley

Dig In-finity! - The Naz, in the words of Lord Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by PereBourik View Post
    Or skip the electronics and use D'Addario Planet Waves Humidipaks. They maintain a constant humidity, absorbing moisture if too humid, and giving off moisture if too dry. Replace them when they get dry out and get hard. They can be restored by putting them back in their zip-lock package and adding water.
    What’s their life span and how much do they cost?
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

I'm in Arizona, where the huimidty is usually in single digits, I just keep my oasis filled with no problems for the last 5+ years that I've been using Oasis humidifiers.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by hollisdwyer View Post
    What’s their life span and how much do they cost?
    $29.95 with a 5-year warranty.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Oasis-OH-2-...8-1&ref=sr_1_1

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Or $12.99 for basically the same thing (probably made on the same Chinese assembly line with the same components)
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Larry

• ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • KALA KA-SRT/MA SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD TENOR (LOW "G")
    • OSCAR SCHMIDT OU2 - LAMINATE MAHOGANY CONCERT (IN STORAGE FOR FUTURE DONATION)

Thread Information