In case hygrometers?

For individual uke monitoring, I've been using this one, usually used for egg incubation... w/ probe in the case & display outside the case.

I have 2 free standing/wall traceable® hygrometers, which can be sent in for calibration periodically https://www.traceable.com/calibration-info. Any individual hygrometers I add can be checked against the traceable ones for ballpark accuracy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I am going to try the egg hygrometer--I can run the sensor into the case and into the sound hole alongside my humidifier.

As a result of this thread I purchased two of the Oasis hygrometers for my cases this winter. I have a room analog hygrometer that I have used for the past several years (I do humidify the room during the winter).So I put the two Oasis next to where I play and they both read 52%. The analog is reading 62%. So I play for a half hour or so and the Oasis now reads 45%. This keeps on for several days. Yesterday I realized that when I play I turn on a lamp. Wonder if the heat from the light affects the hygrometer. So I move one of the Oasis several feet from where I play.. It now reads 68% (it is very humid outside here today and I have a window open). The Oasis where I play next to the lamp is 52%. Just an FYI abut where you should be placing your hygrometers.

Just how precise must one be with the humidity to ensure that their ukulele is being cared for in a reasonable manner? How much time does it take for the ravages of dryness to destroy a ukulele? Does it take minutes, hours, months, years? I have my own opinions based on my own very limited experiences.

Probe Prognosis

For individual uke monitoring, I've been using this one, usually used for egg incubation... w/ probe in the case & display outside the case.

Thank you Wukulele! I was wondering if anybody had used a hygrometer with a probe to monitor the humidity inside a case without having to open it. I thought it would be a good way to determine if a humidifier* is effective. MopMan, how did it work out for you?

Last edited:
Thank you Wukulele! I was wondering if anybody had used a hygrometer with a probe to monitor the humidity inside a case without having to open it. I thought it would be a good way to determine if a hygrometer is effective. MopMan, how did it work out for you?

I like the Happy Farm hygrometer. It measured down to 12%RH over the winter in Pennsylvania. It is registering about 35%RH now, in early April. I cannot prove its accuracy level, but it registers a good range so I trust it gives a fair indication.

It is easy to string the sensor down into a ukulele sound hole and leave the display outside of a closed case for quick reference without opening the case.

Using the Happy Farm this past winter, I was able to determine that the Oasis ukulele humidifiers I use easily take a soprano uke up to around 50%RH(according to Happy Farm) within a few hours. Tenor ukulele, however, only made it up to around 40%RH(again, Happy Farm units) inside the body of the instrument after a full day. For me, this was confirmation that both Oasis and Happy Farm were doing their jobs satisfactorily.

I would recommend the Happy Farm hygrometer to anyone. It has been an easily workable and problem-free tool for me so far.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Happy Farm hygrometer on Amazon. Many thanks to Wukulele for the find!

Last edited:
Top Bottom