Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tenor suggestions

Default Tenor suggestions

I'm looking to buy my first Tenor. I have ukes made of Koa and Mahogany so I'm looking for different wood choices. Leaning toward cedar top but I am open to suggestions. I'd like to keep it under $500. So far I've looked at the Ohana TK-250G and 260G. Also, Mainland has some Tenors at a reasonable price.
    What recommendations can you suggest?

Thanks!

p.s. Currently going through a case of UAS. I have purchased four ukuleles in the past month. OY!....but loving every strum.

There is an Ohana TK 470G listed on UU marketplace, it is a blemished model but the blemish is hidden and the Uke is gorgeous.

Any other requests, like a wide nut? Many production ukes have nut widths of 34mm or so. Getting a uke with a 1.5" nut width can make things much more comfortable for some players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Any other requests, like a wide nut? Many production ukes have nut widths of 34mm or so. Getting a uke with a 1.5" nut width can make things much more comfortable for some players.
    I come from an acoustic guitar background so playing a wider neck is not a problem, or a more narrow neck. Just looking for some good solid suggestions. Thanks.

The Kala cedar with slotted headstock is beautiful, and you can get it for a little over half your budget. I saw Brett McQueen playing one in a lesson, and I had to look it up and order one. You can't go wrong with something like that.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/ka-atp-ct.html

For about four times that price, you can get a similar Pono.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-...-ul4n-20c.html
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Spicysteve View Post
    There is an Ohana TK 470G listed on UU marketplace, it is a blemished model but the blemish is hidden and the Uke is gorgeous.

Very pretty but I'm not a fan of the beveled edges. Call me old fashioned. I like my acoustic instruments pretty but simple. Thank you for the heads up. Nice deal though and I'm sure it will make someone very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    The Kala cedar with slotted headstock is beautiful, and you can get it for a little over half your budget. I saw Brett McQueen playing one in a lesson, and I had to look it up and order one. You can't go wrong with something like that.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/ka-atp-ct.html

For about four times that price, you can get a similar Pono.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-...-ul4n-20c.html
    Very nice looking. Keeping my eye on that one. Any thoughts on Kala vs. Ohana? These ukes seem to be similar in specs and price. I only have limited experience with an Ohana soprano.

Contact Fred Shields and have him make you one! He likes to keep the price under $500 and you could have an amazing handmade instrument that looks and sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicysteve View Post
    I would definitely go the softwood top route, either spruce or cedar. This one here that Steve mentioned is a killer deal. Spruce and rosewood works great together on a uke as on a guitar. You might not like the arm rest but once you play one you will. I own three with armrests and I would have them on everything if I could.

Another great sounding and well made tenor are Pono. They have a series one down from the top end Pro Classic called MTD-SP and are around $550. All solid wood spruce or cedar top with mahogany back and side. Ebony binding, radius fretboard, just not as much bling as the Pro Classic line. You are getting a tenor that plays and sounds like a $1200 uke, seriously.
    Last edited by DownUpDave; 09-28-2018 at 01:59 PM.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Lots of great options. I will throw in the Martin T1K as a suggestion. They tend to run at $539 pretty much everywhere, but you can often get an open-box for well under 500. They're solid koa and though they're pretty bare bones, very well made IMO. They've got great volume and a super comfy satin finish. I bought one right when they came out, played it for a couple years and eventually sold it, but I missed it enough to get another. Just super fun to play and made in Nazareth or no, it feels every inch a Martin to me.

I will also absolutely recommend the solid cedar top slot-head tenors from Kala. I played one of the ones at Hawaii Music Supply in July, and wow! They've got a depth of tone which I find shocking in a $275 uke. I can't really recommend it over the Martin on its own merits, but at half the price I sure can!
    4strings4lyfe!
    Kamaka HF-3
    Martin S1, T1K, & OXK
    Kala baritone, WaterMan, & U-Bass
    50's West German upright bass
    Fodera Monarch bass

Thread Information