Peghed or Gotoh UPT Tuners for KoAloha Concert?

Larry U

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a wonderful KoAloha concert, but I really dislike the factory-installed friction tuners. I'm considering swapping them for a set of planetary tuners, either Peghed or Gotoh UPT.

The instrument is very light (which contributes to it's cannon-like sound!), but I've heard that the UPTs can be too heavy for a light ukulele. Has anyone had any experience with either type on a lightweight uke like my KoAloha? I'm not concerned about keeping the instrument "original", but just want to make my playing easier and not have to constantly fiddle with the friction pegs. Either set will be professionally installed by a trusted, reputable luthier.

I am the proud owner of a wonderful KoAloha concert, but I really dislike the factory-installed friction tuners. I'm considering swapping them for a set of planetary tuners, either Peghed or Gotoh UPT.

The instrument is very light (which contributes to it's cannon-like sound!), but I've heard that the UPTs can be too heavy for a light ukulele. Has anyone had any experience with either type on a lightweight uke like my KoAloha? I'm not concerned about keeping the instrument "original", but just want to make my playing easier and not have to constantly fiddle with the friction pegs. Either set will be professionally installed by a trusted, reputable luthier.

Friction pegs are a nuisance, but I prefer tuners that don't stick out the sides. I love Gotohs, and I really don't like Pegheds. You can get Gotohs from HMS in as assortment of colors for about $59 plus shipping. I've always gotten the long ones. Better a mm too long than a mm to short. I saw a set of UPT tuners for $22. Not sure who was selling them. They may not be as good as Gotoh, though. :D

Alternatives -
https://www.ebay.com/i/222347574488?chn=ps
https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Planetary-Tuning-Plastic-Button/dp/B01N33HQS9

I love Gotoh UPT, but most my ukes are tenors. I do have one concert with them and they balance nicely. A friend has a Pono mahogany pro clasic soprano with Gotoh UPT and no balance issue. I have had Pegheads on Mya Moe, they worked great, are very light and have a cool old school violin look about them.

I have a 2006 KoAloha concert with original friction tuners, and a Loprinzi concert that I had built with Gotoh UPT tuners. I can't tell any difference between the two in terms of head/tuner heaviness. I love the UPTs. So much easier to deal with. My KoAloha has the koa crown-end fretboard,and the old style tuners, so I have left the original tuners on strictly for aesthetics.

If I were to buy a new KoAloha or Opio, I'd switch out to Gotoh UPTs in a heartbeat.

Attachments

• DSCF1490.jpg
    DSCF1490.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF1487.jpg
    DSCF1487.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 40
I'm definitely leaning towards the Gotoh UPTs, particularly since the "tortoiseshell" buttons would look so much better than the funky orange tuner buttons that KoAloha uses. I think I'll chat with the local luthier and see how much he would charge for installation. If it's reasonable (and from what I've seen, it's not a big challenge if you have the right tools), then I'll probably order a set from HMS.

I have a KoAloha Mango Concert. I too dislike friction tuners. I recently changed them to UPT tuners. I only regret I didn't change them sooner. They make tuning much easier and I absolutely can't tell any difference in the balance of the uke. I will be installing them on my KoAloha longneck Soprano soon.
I also own a few Ukes with Peghed tuners, I much prefer Gotoh UPT.

What's the correct sizing for UPTs for a Koaloha Concert given the thickness (or lack thereof) of the headstock?

I'm definitely thinking I'd like to buy some UPTs and install them. The current friction tuners on my Pikake concert aren't cutting it- my G string continually slips out of tune while playing after being tuned up and won't hold (it's not a new string set at this point).

I'm assuming the "short" rather than the "long" tuners would be the way to go- Lapyang, is that what you used? Thanks for the help!

I have a 2006 KoAloha concert with original friction tuners, and a Loprinzi concert that I had built with Gotoh UPT tuners. I can't tell any difference between the two in terms of head/tuner heaviness. I love the UPTs. So much easier to deal with. My KoAloha has the koa crown-end fretboard,and the old style tuners, so I have left the original tuners on strictly for aesthetics.

If I were to buy a new KoAloha or Opio, I'd switch out to Gotoh UPTs in a heartbeat.

I have those same white tuners on my old KoAloha Scepter.

What's the correct sizing for UPTs for a Koaloha Concert given the thickness (or lack thereof) of the headstock?

I'm definitely thinking I'd like to buy some UPTs and install them. The current friction tuners on my Pikake concert aren't cutting it- my G string continually slips out of tune while playing after being tuned up and won't hold (it's not a new string set at this point).

I'm assuming the "short" rather than the "long" tuners would be the way to go- Lapyang, is that what you used? Thanks for the help!

I've put Gotohs on four ukes, and I always needed the long. Measure the headstock very carefully (in millimeters) and then check the specs of the Gotoh tuners. One poster said he installed them on a thick headstock, but they worked okay because he recessed them a bit into the back of the headstock. Still, the less you modify the headstock, the better.

It's good to use a reamer because you get a slight taper. You don't want to top end of the peg to be loose. The peg should be at a perfect right angle to the headstock. If you make the hole too large, the peg can tilt, and that can mess up the tuning mechanism.

I'd be afraid to use a reamer in a drill, but putting the tape on the reamer (when he does it by hand) is essential. It makes sure all the holes are the same size. Those are beautiful tuning buttons!

I thought the same thing about the drill, if I did that I think I'd end up with not a lot of uke left!

I put Gotoh’s on my KoAloha Concert and love them. Bought from HMS and should of had them replaced then. Got the ones that have a similar look as the originals (amber). Worth it!

I put Gotoh’s on my KoAloha Concert and love them. Bought from HMS and should of had them replaced then. Got the ones that have a similar look as the originals (amber). Worth it!

I'm keeping the stock tuners on my KoAlohas because I'm afraid of messing with them. With the other ukes, I was willing to take a chance. I ordered my first Gotohs from Japan, where they make them when you order them. You can get just what you want, but you wait over a month and pay over $90. HMS may not have exactly what you want, but they have always had close enough for me, and price and delivery are much better.

Elderly also sells them. Not as big of a selection as HMS, but they do carry one long shaft model.

I have ukes with Pegheds, and ukes with Gotoh UPT. I bought the ukes with the pegheds that way, and the Gotohs were aftermarket replacements. (Paid for the installation).

Personally? They are both great tuners. Make your decision based on appearance and price.

And Have Fun!

-Kurt​

This is my KoAloha Concert with Gotoh UPTs. Love 'em! :cool:

004.jpg005.jpg

Ordered it from HMS with the Gotohs installed.

My question, also. I measured my KoAloha KCM-10 Pikake Concert with a digital caliper, and it measures 12.2 mm consistently (I sampled several locations). According to the guidelines on HMS, the standard (short) UPT tuners work with a headstock 10-12mm thick, and the long shafted tuners for 11.5-13.5mm. But, on the HMS installation video, he's installing the standard UPTs on a ukulele that looks exactly the same as mine. I guess I'm going to need to call them and verify their suggestions before I place an order.

I installed Gotoh UPTs myself on my Kamaka sop. Turned out perfectly and no, it is not too heavy.

As for drilling/tapping the hold, it is actually stepped, so no eeamer ia necessary, indeed, it is the wrong tool for the job. The side with the peg is wider, and the side with the string winder is smaller. They should both be fairly precisely sized to avoid wobble. The main challenge is to avoid tear-out around the hole. I put painter’s tape over the existing tuner hole and used a step bit. I kept the bit at a slow speed. It turned out perfectly. The only problem, and I feel absolutely foolish for this, is that I had the painter’s tape on part of the double K Kamaka logo and that part of the logo lifted off.

As for using a reamer, it is the only right tool for Pegheds, which are tapered.

Also, I have Pegheds on my Cocobolo and my Mya Moe. They are fantastic! I do prefer the feel of the Gotohs but the Pegheds work great. On some ukes they are really the best choice. I would say that is a matter of aesthetics. You can put Pegheds on a vintage soprano that came with violin-style tuners. That would look authentic, whereas Gotohs would be a sore and swollen thumb. The Pegheds look great on the two that have them and work great too.

I recently bought a set of these Ukulele Lite Planetary Tuning Pegs. taisamlu among others sell them on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ukulele-Li...358378?hash=item25e71effaa:g:97wAAOSw4A5Yrqb7

They feel very much like the Gotohs uninstalled. They also fit in the hole on my Kamaka. I think the Gotohs look too small, even on my Kamaka. I like the larger size of the Ukulele Lite Planetarys, and also the buttons are the same size as the stock buttons on my Koaloha. At first I didn’t like the Koaloha buttons, but I am going to put these on my Koaloha and keep the original buttons on there for a more original look.

You guys have inspired me. I’m going to instal them right now!

I'd be afraid to use a reamer in a drill, but putting the tape on the reamer (when he does it by hand) is essential. It makes sure all the holes are the same size. Those are beautiful tuning buttons!

Top Bottom