Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peghed or Gotoh UPT Tuners for KoAloha Concert?

Default Peghed or Gotoh UPT Tuners for KoAloha Concert?

I am the proud owner of a wonderful KoAloha concert, but I really dislike the factory-installed friction tuners. I'm considering swapping them for a set of planetary tuners, either Peghed or Gotoh UPT.

The instrument is very light (which contributes to it's cannon-like sound!), but I've heard that the UPTs can be too heavy for a light ukulele. Has anyone had any experience with either type on a lightweight uke like my KoAloha? I'm not concerned about keeping the instrument "original", but just want to make my playing easier and not have to constantly fiddle with the friction pegs. Either set will be professionally installed by a trusted, reputable luthier.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    I am the proud owner of a wonderful KoAloha concert, but I really dislike the factory-installed friction tuners. I'm considering swapping them for a set of planetary tuners, either Peghed or Gotoh UPT.

The instrument is very light (which contributes to it's cannon-like sound!), but I've heard that the UPTs can be too heavy for a light ukulele. Has anyone had any experience with either type on a lightweight uke like my KoAloha? I'm not concerned about keeping the instrument "original", but just want to make my playing easier and not have to constantly fiddle with the friction pegs. Either set will be professionally installed by a trusted, reputable luthier.
    Friction pegs are a nuisance, but I prefer tuners that don't stick out the sides. I love Gotohs, and I really don't like Pegheds. You can get Gotohs from HMS in as assortment of colors for about $59 plus shipping. I've always gotten the long ones. Better a mm too long than a mm to short. I saw a set of UPT tuners for $22. Not sure who was selling them. They may not be as good as Gotoh, though.

Alternatives -
    https://www.ebay.com/i/222347574488?chn=ps
    https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Plane.../dp/B01N33HQS9
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

IMHO, Pegheads would look goofy on such a nice uke. YMMV. UPTs look much more compact and nicer, to me. I've found the UPTs tune better too, very precise. Plus, they have way more options for the buttons and color of the metallic structure.
    John

I love Gotoh UPT, but most my ukes are tenors. I do have one concert with them and they balance nicely. A friend has a Pono mahogany pro clasic soprano with Gotoh UPT and no balance issue. I have had Pegheads on Mya Moe, they worked great, are very light and have a cool old school violin look about them.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I have a 2006 KoAloha concert with original friction tuners, and a Loprinzi concert that I had built with Gotoh UPT tuners. I can't tell any difference between the two in terms of head/tuner heaviness. I love the UPTs. So much easier to deal with. My KoAloha has the koa crown-end fretboard,and the old style tuners, so I have left the original tuners on strictly for aesthetics.

If I were to buy a new KoAloha or Opio, I'd switch out to Gotoh UPTs in a heartbeat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

I'm definitely leaning towards the Gotoh UPTs, particularly since the "tortoiseshell" buttons would look so much better than the funky orange tuner buttons that KoAloha uses. I think I'll chat with the local luthier and see how much he would charge for installation. If it's reasonable (and from what I've seen, it's not a big challenge if you have the right tools), then I'll probably order a set from HMS.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)

I have a KoAloha Mango Concert. I too dislike friction tuners. I recently changed them to UPT tuners. I only regret I didn't change them sooner. They make tuning much easier and I absolutely can't tell any difference in the balance of the uke. I will be installing them on my KoAloha longneck Soprano soon.
    I also own a few Ukes with Peghed tuners, I much prefer Gotoh UPT.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

https://www.youtube.com/user/lapyang

Joseph

What's the correct sizing for UPTs for a Koaloha Concert given the thickness (or lack thereof) of the headstock?

I'm definitely thinking I'd like to buy some UPTs and install them. The current friction tuners on my Pikake concert aren't cutting it- my G string continually slips out of tune while playing after being tuned up and won't hold (it's not a new string set at this point).

I'm assuming the "short" rather than the "long" tuners would be the way to go- Lapyang, is that what you used? Thanks for the help!

Id probably use short UPTs. Im going to use short for mine too. HMS do a good video on this which you can see here, they use the short ones too: https://vimeo.com/123455918

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I have a 2006 KoAloha concert with original friction tuners, and a Loprinzi concert that I had built with Gotoh UPT tuners. I can't tell any difference between the two in terms of head/tuner heaviness. I love the UPTs. So much easier to deal with. My KoAloha has the koa crown-end fretboard,and the old style tuners, so I have left the original tuners on strictly for aesthetics.

If I were to buy a new KoAloha or Opio, I'd switch out to Gotoh UPTs in a heartbeat.
    I have those same white tuners on my old KoAloha Scepter.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information