Flight NUP310 Pineapple Soprano Review

bazmaz

Reaction score
Dang reply with quote isn't working right . . .

ANYWAY, thanks for this review. I will probably get this vs the Kala Kiwi pineapple. I really want a pineapple but can't spend too much right now.

The Flight seems to be a better deal with thinner soundboard, better sound, better looking, whales vs kiwi!

Thanks for your reviews!

I like both brands, but over the past few years I have come to a conclusion - Flight are constantly trying to improve and better their output. Kala are a bit static.

I think Flight have actually moved past them now.

The Flight NUP310 has been ordered. Should arrive on Friday.

Enjoy it! I think you will!

So, my Flight came on Thursday. I really like it!

I compared it to my Pono Mango soprano. They are both 35mm at the nut. From my measurements, they are the same as far as neck thickness. However, the Pono weighs 430g (15.2 oz) and the Flight weighs 371g (13.1 oz). It is lighter than the solid mango. Two ounces doesn't sound like much, but it feels better to hold. It is also much easier to hold still. I don't know why except the Pono seems slippery to me.

By my crude measurements, the set up is like the set up on the Pono.

It has a really nice sound! It needs very little tuning when I pick it up to play. Holds the tuning well.

I like the sound hole design. I've spent COVID lock down (while not teaching 4th grade online) watching the orca and whales on https://explore.org/livecams/oceans/orcalab-base for stress relief, so have fallen for them! This design is not an orca. It is a whale. A whale that is about to eat that little fish!!

This ukulele makes me want to play. I never felt that way with the Pono. The Flight just fits me! Now I have started to really practice and learn to play fingerstyle!
0924201626b-2.jpg0924201625-1.jpg0924201626-1.jpg0924201626a-1.jpg0924201626c.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like it struck a chord with you! (apologies for the pun!)

I too remember that model being really playable!

I do find there is 'something' about pineapples that appeals and makes them feel/ sound that way. The body shape expands the range of course, and can't forget that the first Kamaka ukes were pineapples.

Makes you wonder why the shape didn't stick to become THE de facto ukulele shape. It makes a lot of sense with a small instrument.

I am a sucker for pineapples and love {tin-foil hat firmly in place) the way they sound. Actually, it is the feel. They only seem to translate well in the soprano size. Many have been and gone, but I still have (~$100)... one. I am the target audience for this.

(Sorry Baz, but I need gears :) but you still deserve a beer!)

Last edited:
I am a sucker for pineapples and love {tin-foil hat firmly in place) the way they sound. Actually, it is the feel. They only seem to translate well in the soprano size. Many have been and gone, but I still have (~$100)... one. I am the target audience for this.

(Sorry Baz, but I need gears :) but you still deserve a beer!)
Sigh. I just pulled the trigger and bought it. Because I like all the pretty things, it was well-reviewed, the price is right, and I need an instrument that will give me a more positive learning experience than the crappy vintage Harmony soprano I've been working with this week.

Impetuosity: Thou art me.

So, are you still playing it and enjoying it? I'm really taken with this little guy.
I’m sad to say that Chopped Liver hasn’t been on this forum for some years. Here’s hoping that she’s OK.

Good luck with your new purchase. I’ve had a Kala KA-P for many years and have been very pleased with it, large bodied pineapple Sopranos seem to work well. Of course, like any Uke, they need setting-up well.

Makes you wonder why the shape didn't stick to become THE de facto ukulele shape. It makes a lot of sense with a small instrument.

Yep, I wonder about that too.

If anyone is looking for an even less expensive alternative to the Flight soprano pineapple, I can recommend the Aiersi SU-021P. It appears to be a very similar product and is offered on AliExpress for around £30 including a thin bag and extra goodies like a tuner and a strap.

I saw a very positive review (by ukestuff) of the little Aiersi and bought one. A friend liked it so much, I bought another for him. They are very neatly made, with a laminate body and both of the ones I bought were perfectly set up, right out of the box. They both play really well, with very good intonation, a pleasing voice and good volume.

My only slightly adverse comment would be that the edges of the body are not rounded off and can be a bit uncomfortable. A couple of minutes attention with fine sandpaper soon sorted that out.

. Actually, it is the feel. They only seem to translate well in the soprano size. .
I totally agree. I have never seen a tenor pineapple, but have always assumed it would feel like trying to play a small pig. I have a long-neck soprano pineapple that I love just for the feel. Luckily, it sounds great too.

Sigh. I just pulled the trigger and bought it. Because I like all the pretty things, it was well-reviewed, the price is right, and I need an instrument that will give me a more positive learning experience than the crappy vintage Harmony soprano I've been working with this week.

Impetuosity: Thou art me.
Just wanted to report that the Flight Pineapple arrived this afternoon, and it has a lovely, full sound -- not plinky sounding like the Crappy Vintage Harmony(R) I started on. The tuners work smoothly, and the instrument holds its tune. Intonation is good. My only wee gripe is that the fret edges are a bit rough, but that's something I can get looked after eventually.

To my untrained self, it's well worth the CDN$95 I paid for it, and should serve me well as I'm learning. Thanks, Baz, for the detailed review that prompted this purchase.

Just wanted to report that the Flight Pineapple arrived this afternoon, and it has a lovely, full sound -- not plinky sounding like the Crappy Vintage Harmony(R) I started on. The tuners work smoothly, and the instrument holds its tune. Intonation is good. My only wee gripe is that the fret edges are a bit rough, but that's something I can get looked after eventually.

To my untrained self, it's well worth the CDN$95 I paid for it, and should serve me well as I'm learning. Thanks, Baz, for the detailed review that prompted this purchase.
That's a cute ukulele and I actually like the whale or whatever it is...did you say vintage Harmony?

Top Bottom