Song Help Request Theory help

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
I am trying to transpose a song from c to g.I know a little bit of theory but when I look at the notes in c I have noticed that there is a f# d# g# and a Eb what's going on?
Thanks Phil

Need a little more context. Can you post a picture of the music?

The conversion should be like this...

Notes:

C = G
D = A
E = B
F = C
G = D
A = E
B = F#

Chords:

C becomes G
Dm becomes Am
Em becomes Bm
F becomes C
G becomes D (G7 becomes D7)
Am becomes Em
And you probably won’t have it, but a B°7 becomes F#°7

Also common...D7 becomes A7 (V of V in both keys)

Any other needs?

instead a mechanical transposing wheel that Keith is suggesting, sorry Keith, I'd rather recommend the circle of fifths. I found this link after a brief search:
https://www.zombieguitar.com/8-useful-facts-about-the-circle-of-fifths/

Notice the 6 diatonic chords and how they are grouped together paragraph. So to transposing from C to G it is a one hour shift clockwise ;)

The chords you transpose can be of any flavour, the most common exception is Em in C/Am being instead E7. So in G/Em it would be B7.

And what chords that are not diatonic at root note to a scale you can transpose related. So a very cool this circle is, right?

Last edited:
Screenshot_2018-09-29-20-37-31.jpg
I Not this one tried to delete.

Last edited:
Screenshot_2018-09-30-16-31-01.jpg
This is the song Jim. I thought it was in C.

Hi Phil(etc),

At first I assumed you were simply transposing the accomanying chords from the key of "C" into "G". For this job I find a transposing wheel is a big help, and makes it quite straightforward.

If you are looking at individual notes within the chords or, perhaps, the notes which make up the melody line, then you are likely to encounter various sharps and flats.

The sheet music you have posted is too small for me to read, but the arrangement of this song that I play (first line only) in "C" goes:-

(G7) I'm gonna C sit right CM7 down and C6 write my G7 self a CM7 letter

In the key of "G" the corresponding chords would be (D7) G GM7 G6 D7 GM7

I'd never tried it in "G" - it sounds really nice, and is easy to play - but too low for my voice!

Hope this helps,

John Colter

Last edited:
Oh well these Phils, they have not maybe taken enough pills or too much and love take advantage of us?
I tried look into his attachements, but could not see any except it maybe had been taken of a musical page?

Looks like it may be showing Bb on the stave, so that would mean it's in the key of F.

That’s my best guess as well. These old jazz standards borrow lots of chords not in the tonic key. Whether it is passing chords, tritone substitutions, or other devices, they will use more crayons in the box than your typical modern pop song.

Top Bottom