NUD... Of Sorts!

Rosendust

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Next weekend, I'm getting my Kala KA-15S Soprano! The reason I had to wait and not get it today was because my local music store offers layaway and I figured that would be the best option. My question is, should I get the strings replaced with new ones and if so, what brand would you recommend? I use Aquilas on my Dolphin, but I want a deeper sound. Edit: What humidifier would you recommend as well?
Regards,
Rosendust

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Next weekend, I'm getting my Kala KA-15S Soprano! The reason I had to wait and not get it today was because my local music store offers layaway and I figured that would be the best option. My question is, should I get the strings replaced with new ones and if so, what brand would you recommend? I use Aquilas on my Dolphin, but I want a deeper sound.
Regards,
Rosendust

Congratulations!

It’s not for everyone, but I’ve tried low g string on a soprano and liked it. Ko’olau Alohi strings used to offer a set. But you might just replace the g-string with a wound version from Aquila or Fremont.

Congrats on the new uke Dixie. What is the Kala strung with now......and why might you want to change?

Congrats on the new uke Dixie. What is the Kala strung with now......and why might you want to change?
I'm not really sure, as I didn't think to ask what strings were on it, but they felt like Nygut. The reason I'd like to change them is because the strings have a tendency to cause calluses on my fingers as of late.

I'd play whatever comes on the uke until I had a reason to change them. Most likely they are Aquilas. I'm personally not an Aquila fan though they're not bad on the uke I just bought so I'll probably keep them on there for a while. If what comes on the uke is not to your liking I would recommend either Martin or Oasis strings. Both have worked and sounded great on multiple ukes for me. As far as calluses go, that's all part of the game. You'll get them to some degree no matter what strings you use. For a humidifier, I'd recommend the Oasis OH-18.

Worth Brown strings. I have a 15S, the browns give it a nice warmth, even with a reentrant G. I've had "nicer" ukes, but I always come back to this one.

(Don't let the price of Worth strings put you off. They're actually double length, so you really get 2sets.)

I'd play what's on it first and see what you think of the sound. Don't worry about the calluses. Strings seem to be so individual to each uke that you ought to try what's on their first so that you have a baseline to compare other strings to. If you're looking for suggestions, I really like the sound of Living Waters, but on my Ohana CK-10S I still have Aquilas and I like it.

As to the question of humidifiers, where do you live? I'm in the Ohio Valley, never bothered with one, no problem. But if you're in a different climate you might need it.

I live in South Carolina, so as you can imagine-we've had a warmer summer than usual.

I live in South Carolina, so as you can imagine-we've had a warmer summer than usual.

I lived in SC for 10 years before moving to South America. From my experience there, you have PLENTY of humidity and not a strong dry cold, so I don’t think you’ll need to worry about a humidifier.

You're supposed to have callouses. They're better than blisters.
I use Worth Browns too. They really calmed my chirpy uke down, made it more mellow and they don't hurt my fingers.

Top Bottom