Season 346 - Large, Narrow, Heavy, Few

SOTU 346: "This Little Bird" John D. Loudermilk (1962) - cover by ddanner

This has been covered by others in more recent years, but I will always hear it as done by Marianne Faithful's version form the 60's. Written by John D. Loudermilk (1962), "This Little Bird" always leaves me pondering over the intended meaning ol his mysterious metaphor.

I'll post the lyrics following the video because you may have difficulty hearing them clearly without headphones.

I picked with one pattern on the 8 string baritone, and then over-dubbed a second picking pattern with my Kala, low g tenor ukulele. The 8 strings sounds better in real life than on the recording, and I'm having my doubts of about using passive piezo pickups to record with. The 8 string has the K & K twin spot pickups whereas the tenor has a under-saddle, MiSi pickup which seems to record much more clearly.

Lyrics for: This Little Bird

There's a little bird that somebody sends . . .
Down to the earth to live on the wind . . .

Borne on the wind, and he sleeps on the wind
This little bird that somebody sends . . .

He's light and fragile and feathered sky blue . . .
So thin and graceful the sun shines through . . .

This lit - tle bird who lives on the wind
This lit - tle bird that some - body sends . . . . . . .

He flies so high up in the sky
Out of reach of hu - man eye. . . .

And the only time that he tou - ches the ground

Is when that lit - tle bird ...
Is when that lit - tle bird ...
Is when that lit - tle bird dies.

Hey Brian and guys and girls!
here's an entry based on a true story!
For Jono!

Last edited:
I took all the words in bold (just because) in Brian’s Season challenge and made a song.

Code:
  Deep in the Title 
 Holding a small hand
Entrusted to me
Big smile looks up a tall frame

Many a time to long
I let go of that little hand
Of few years, often a chain 

Oh oh oh Far  on this narrow trail 
Oh oh oh from Georgia to Maine 

Mind heavy with dew
Large plans but done few
Low lies my heart, my orbital plane

Oh oh oh Far on this narrow trail
Oh oh oh from Georgia to Maine

Back for my #2 and off to the beach for an itsy bitsy teenie weenie little song... that took me a bigly wiggly amount of time to get into place. I'm super impressed by those who can knock out several good renditions in next to no time (and doubly so for writing from scratch!)

It's been a busy week, but I finally got a couple in here. How 'bout some Jimmy Reed? Thanks for hosting, pa!

Ray Davies and the Kinks time! Another record I played to death when it came out, and it launched the final phase of their great career. (I happened to pick a couple of songs that don't require a lot of vocal chops, so we're all good.)

It was a near thing getting a song done for this Season. My daughter's boyfriend came to stay with us because we had tickets to the touring company of "Hamilton" (a big deal in the U.S.). When he came, my daughter came down with a bad cold. She got just well enough to go to the play, and I took them to the Topsfield Fair on Friday. And Friday night my wife, my daughter's boyfriend, and I all came down with the cold. I found a few minutes when my nose wasn't dripping to get this video done. It's an Elvis Costello song, so it should prepare me for Season 347.

I played bass in Portland pop-punk band the No-No's for years. Somehow, none of our songs have ever made it to the Seasons. Until now.

Thanks, pa'!

Well, That's another season done and dusted.
102 videos and 50 seasonistas participating. Not counting the host.
Thank you one and all!
I'll be back with a wrap later but I'll leave you with this paorigial written for and dedicated to all the participating seasonistas this week.
It would be so great to have a seasonista get together. Pity I hate flying so much.

Loved all the submissions this week. 50 fabulous seasonistas bringing lots of real fine music.
So my 'short' list consists of all who brought something along this week. That's a shout out to EVERYONE.
Was great to see songs from some familar faces we haven't seen for a while too.
I've chosen Ylle and Jon as my belt buckle recipients.
They both bought wonderful instrumentals -
The kangaroo buckle for Ylle who brought a grand version of Dream a Little Dream of Me and the crocodile for Jon who brought a very skillfully played Little Martha.
Jon also brought two originals that blew me away - The Deeper In and A Short Song About Lonliness.
If you want me to send you the buckle send me your snail mail address vis a PM.

Last edited:
'Twas a great week - thanks so much, Pa! And a big up to the buckle beneficiaries! :cool:

Top Bottom