Thread: grover tuning machine loose button issue

Default grover tuning machine loose button issue

I have a Kala KA-ACP-CTG which is fitted with Grover open gear tuners with metal buttons on its slotted peghead. All the metal buttons have a small amount of play on the shaft when turned. At first I thought it was backlash in the gear before I realized it was the button. I bought the instrument new long enough ago that the warranty is long expired, though I have been only using it for the last three months. The looseness showed up almost immediately when I started playing it.

I have a guitar that experienced a similar problem which got to the point that the button would vibrate when the instrument was played, producing an audible buzz. The button finally fell off completely and I fixed it a short time ago with super glue and it is still holding.

I would prefer to fix the buttons as opposed to replacing the tuners. I'm guessing that they are designed to be a press fit on the shaft. Would re-pressing them be possible? I have read of people repairing buttons with super glue, but am uncertain how well the glue would flow into the tight space between the button and the tuner shaft. Do I have to wait until the button falls off the shaft?

I'm disappointed. I thought Grover's engineering and quality control were better than this. I see Grover tuners often recommended as upgrades by members of this and other forums.

If anyone has had any experience fixing this sort of problem I would appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by rrieth; 09-30-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Thanks Bill Sheehan for the PM of sympathy. In doing a bit of research I found that some people have used thin consistency superglue to solve this problem. I'll report my results when I've tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by rrieth View Post
    Thanks Bill Sheehan for the PM of sympathy. In doing a bit of research I found that some people have used thin consistency superglue to solve this problem. I'll report my results when I've tried it.
    Sounds good! I hope that'll do the trick!

Grovers have a lifetime warranty and will replace faulty tuners at no charge. Contact Grover.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Instruments
    New Zealand

Thanks Dennis! I'll give that a try.

Thread Information