Nut slot

spongeuke

Reaction score
I had the winding of the D and G string strip toward the tunners on a Baritone that I made. should I take the edge off the fret side of the nut slot? will it ruin the intonation?

I had the winding of the D and G string strip toward the tunners on a Baritone that I made. should I take the edge off the fret side of the nut slot? will it ruin the intonation?

Just some observations rather than an answer ....... I don’t claim to know the answer but at least this post it will bump yours higher up the list.

The wire wound around strings is, I believe, very fine and hence you’ll only need a very very small chamfer on the edge of the nut to ease the path of the wire of the wound string onto it. In your position I’d just go for it and add a chamfer, around all the slot, no bigger than the diameter of the wire. I assume that the slot width is a bit bigger than the wound string diameter - not pinching on the sides, etc.

Good luck and I hope that my post helps in some way.

Last edited:
Thank you and yes I looked at the slot and it could have pinched the string. I used the gas welding tip round files to cut to the slot to the exact string diameter so I'll widen them a bit.

Thank you and yes I looked at the slot and it could have pinched the string. I used the gas welding tip round files to cut to the slot to the exact string diameter so I'll widen them a bit.

I’m glad that my thoughts gave you some hope of a solution and hope that that is what you find. It would be interesting to know how you get on.

All the best, Graham.

I'm going to purchase a set with the D&G wound maybe tomorrow, if available here in town, and adjust the slots accordingly.

Top Bottom