Scales that start on the C string

fretie

Reaction score
After the recent Peter Luongo workshop I am motivated to learn scales and start actually reading music rather than using tab.

First off, I am wondering why the basic scales seem to start on the C string and not the G string?

It is because of the re-entrant tuning. With linear (low G) tuning, the scales do start on the G string. However, if you started on the G string with the re-entrant tuning the notes would sound out of order since the G string has a higher pitch than the C and E strings. Scales usually ascend, but with a high G string the scale would start high, go low and then ascend.

It is because of the re-entrant tuning. With linear (low G) tuning, the scales do start on the G string. However, if you started on the G string with the re-entrant tuning the notes would sound out of order since the G string has a higher pitch than the C and E strings. Scales usually ascend, but with a high G string the scale would start high, go low and then ascend.
Yes, that makes sense but this weekend when we took the MaxUke course we had low G ukes but still started our scales on the C string, maybe it’s just a normal starting point regardless of the uke tuning?

Beginning scale theory usually starts with C major as there are no sharps/flats in that key. Then you can build on that foundation either to other keys, e.g. "G major is C major but it has an F# in it instead of F natural" or other modalities, e.g. "C minor is like C major except it has Eb/Ab/Bb notes instead of E/A/B".

Yes, that makes sense but this weekend when we took the MaxUke course we had low G ukes but still started our scales on the C string, maybe it’s just a normal starting point regardless of the uke tuning?

All the resources I have ever seen have been restricted to the top three strings. I think the authors of these resources just assume everyone has a re-entrant tuning. I actually had to make my own charts for all the modes and scales that utilize the G string. Luckily, the patterns are basically the same whether you start on the G or the C string; you only have to shift your hand up or down a fret on certain strings.

Top Bottom