Song Help Request Classic Ukulele song book suggestions

Astein2006

Reaction score
Hi All. I am looking to get a classic ukulele song book. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Depends on what you consider "classic". Classic Hawaiian like "Ulupalakua" or classic Tin Pan Alley like "Ain't She Sweet" or maybe even "tip Toe Through The Tulips" which defies classification.

Depends on what you consider "classic". Classic Hawaiian like "Ulupalakua" or classic Tin Pan Alley like "Ain't She Sweet" or maybe even "tip Toe Through The Tulips" which defies classification.

No on the Ain't She Sweet and no on Tip Toe. Want a book of classic hawaiian songs for the ukulele, preferably with accompanying cd.

He Mele Aloha is the most comprehensive Hawaiian songbook I know. It doesnt have a cd but I believe there are links to finding audio of the songs (I didnt use that so not 100%). This was a huge book (get the spiral bound, not paperback) that had nearly every song we played at my local (in Cali) kanakapila.

No on the Ain't She Sweet and no on Tip Toe. Want a book of classic hawaiian songs for the ukulele, preferably with accompanying cd.

In that case, as bunnyf suggested, He Mele Aloha is a very good resource for Hawaiian songs. The Hawaiian Style Ukulele series volumes 1 trough 3 aren't as extensive but does come with cds and standard musical notation for those that can read music.

He Mele Aloha is the most comprehensive Hawaiian songbook I know. It doesnt have a cd but I believe there are links to finding audio of the songs (I didnt use that so not 100%). This was a huge book (get the spiral bound, not paperback) that had nearly every song we played at my local (in Cali) kanakapila.

That really is not a fake book by any stretch of the imagination. You have to know the music before it's any good and for some of the songs in there nobody anywhere that actually remembers them anymore. The Charles E. King books, though long out of print, are a better source of playable old school Hawaiian songs.

-- Gary

In that case, as bunnyf suggested, He Mele Aloha is a very good resource for Hawaiian songs. The Hawaiian Style Ukulele series volumes 1 trough 3 aren't as extensive but does come with cds and standard musical notation for those that can read music.

Those are out of print.

Top Bottom