Which Sycamore back is your favorite of these 5?

Which of these 5 Sycamore backs is your favorite?

Votes: 4 7.1%

Votes: 2 3.6%

Votes: 27 48.2%

Votes: 6 10.7%

Votes: 17 30.4%

• Total voters
I vote #5 because of the contrast between the center stripe & the edge.

It's between #2 and #3 for me. Gotta love dat curl.

At the end of the day though, I'd go with the one that taps the best.

Last edited:
I went with #5, Hodge! Just like the overall balance and I think when finished off it will be lovely.

I settled on 5 as my top pick, after looking back and forth between 3 and 5 for a while. All very nice, these will surely be radiant once they are finished.

#3 by a longshot.

E

I gravitate towards #5. It's unique looking.

Doesn't matter what we think, it is what you like that is important. Any one of the 5 will give you a terrific looking instrument. If they are all equal in tone then get the one that you think will work with the other woods, and you won't get tired of looking at. Of course, the back isn't the side you will be looking at the most...

number 3 for me, but I would prefer a single piece back rather than book-matched.
It's all down to personal opinion though.

They will all look so different once under finish but for me it's #3 all the way.

Thanks everyone for your input and perspective. Decided to go with #3. Will post progress pics once the build starts.

Wonderful. I am very anxious to hear your thoughts on the "new" Mya Moe ukuleles. I know you have an original baritone, as do I, and we both like them. I played mine quite a bit yesterday, even my wife said that sounds pretty.

I had an all sycamore Mya Moe that I sold to a friend and playing partner. When ever Tim brings it over and I play it I kick myself. But it was his Holy Grail tenor so I had to sell it to him.

Wonderful. I am very anxious to hear your thoughts on the "new" Mya Moe ukuleles. I know you have an original baritone, as do I, and we both like them. I played mine quite a bit yesterday, even my wife said that sounds pretty.

I had an all sycamore Mya Moe that I sold to a friend and playing partner. When ever Tim brings it over and I play it I kick myself. But it was his Holy Grail tenor so I had to sell it to him.

I’ve got a few very special baritones, all wonderful. And my spruce/EIR Mya-moe is definitely one of them. Hoping the new Sycamore/POC Mya-moe baritone will be a great uke as well.

Very nice of you to part with a special uke, fulfilling someone else’s greatest hopes.

both like them. I played mine quite a bit yesterday, even my wife said that sounds pretty.
...I had an all sycamore Mya Moe that I sold to a friend and playing partner. When ever Tim brings it over and I play it I kick myself. But it was his Holy Grail tenor so I had to sell it to him.

I'm in the same situation with one of my good friends and a very unique uke I have. I know I'll kick myself down the line if I sell it so I'm going to lend it to him for the next 6 months while I'm organising myself in Melbourne. I figure the trial will be good for both of us as it will allow each to exam our true feelings about it. Desired outcome=no buyers or sellers regret.

Hodge, I think you made the right choice in woodset and builder. Cary's output that I've seen so far looks mighty fine.

Top Bottom