Fretting press

Timbuck

Reaction score
I have been using my drill press for fitting frets for the last 8 years or so but the constant pressure wasn't doing the machine any good as I noticed lately that the table was a bit out of square..So last year I bought a smallish arbour press to do the job instead.. I spotted a few good ideas on the web and this forum so I pinched them..and this week I finaly got round to modifying it... After removing the round cast iron anvil bit and the Tommy bar and discarding them in the scrap bin..I drilled a couple of holes in the base and screwed in a piece of beechwood for a new anvil.. I drilled and tapped the end of the rack and fitted a top caul made from an old shaft key..Then I removed the pinnion and machined it down and bored out the end to take an old worn out 3/8" socket..this will be used later to fit the 3/8" torque wrench (I'm waiting for this to arrive in the mail).....along with a limit stop fitted to the rack, and a return spring thats about all there is to it....Here are a few pics...if anyone else is thinking of making one and anything aint too clear ? ask and I'll try to explain.
press1.jpgIMG_1562.jpgIMG_1568.jpgIMG_1574.jpgIMG_1577.jpg

Last edited:
The torque wrench is a great idea.
Unfortunately, i'm not a machinist so this is beyond me.

You don't have to be an engineer Beau. My student will be doing his fretboard tomorrow - I'll film it for you. Ken's is the deluxe version. I've had my r&p press rigged for a couple years now and it works great. I can't remember the last time I dressed a fretboard.

This makes me think of a tennis racquet stringing machine that uses a lever to apply force, but instead of using a torque wench, some use a long lever with a weight out on the end that's adjustable so you can set the amount of force. Seems like this drop weight lever idea could also be adapted to a small press for consistent fret pressure.

drop weight.jpg

Torque wrench arrived this morning..One thing I didnt realise was that the torque action only works on right handed threads ..If the wrench is fitted to the left hand side of the press this is not a problem..But for me! being a right handed person I prefererd it on the right and it won't "click" on the right when pressure is applied :(..I soon solved the problem by removing the ratchet and square shaft part and reversing it. ..and it now works champion.:cheers:
here is a couple more pic's showing the return spring and wrench fitted.
IMG_1594.jpgIMG_1599.jpg

What torque do you use? Is it different for different woods?

I've only tried it on rosewood so far and 65-70 NM's seems about ok..But the torque wrench is second hand and I don't know if it's calibrated correctly...But! I have another 1/2" wrench that is accurate and I can test it against that one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom