Got a buzz

Ukecaster

Reaction score
The uke, not me ;)

A few months back, I got an Enya concert, with solid Engelmann top. Was planning on giving it to my daughter. However, the stock strings were lousy, so I unstrung it, and planned to install Martin M600s. Somehow, during that process , both the nut and saddle fell out. I should have changed the strings one at a time, to avoid that (duh). I glued the nut with a small wipe of Titebond, and clamped lightly, it appears to be seated properly. The saddle seemed to fit back in just fine. However, once restrung, I have a lot of new buzzing, and don't want to spend $45.00 on a setup, on such an inexpensive uke. Any ideas? The old strings seemed to be flouro, of about the same diameter.

Perhaps the nut is back to front, did it have a lower side where the strings 'break', if so the ramp could be causing it, maybe.

In addition to above, there may have been some shim material (doesn-t take much) under the nut and/or saddle which would slightly raise the string height. If the saddle hasn't been glued (please, don't glue it), shimming it up a bit may solve the problem. I usually use strips cut from a business card to the length of the saddle and place the strip(s) in the saddle slot. It's a process which may be necessary a few times, depending on how many card strips (never needed more than three) are needed to effectively raise the strings.

Top Bottom