Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kala and Kala Makala brands

Default Kala and Kala Makala brands

Would it be fair to state that the Kala Makala has a similar relationship to the main Kala brand as there is between the (Fender) Squier and the main Fender guitar brand?

I.e the Makala and the Squier are simply economy brands of respected main brands.

One day there may be a Sherlock and a Mycroft brand
    Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Fan & Carlisle United Fan

Countdown Of United Kingdom Time Remaining In The European Union

Gear4Music Deluxe Tenor
    Mahilele Soprano

Basically, yes, it's their starter line.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

That would be fair...
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

Yes that is accurate. Have you purchased a uke yet or are you still "Ukeless"?
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Ukeless_ View Post
    Would it be fair to state that the Kala Makala has a similar relationship to the main Kala brand as there is between the (Fender) Squier and the main Fender guitar brand?

I.e the Makala and the Squier are simply economy brands of respected main brands.
    Maybe. The Makala Ukes are simply trimmed back versions of the basic Kala Ukes. The tuners arenít as fancy, they arenít trimmed, the laminate material isnít quite as showy and the frets are Brass. However the Makalas work well enough and I think that the Makala MK-C is a bargain. My own MK-C works and sounds just fine for Uke Club playing; I set the Uke up, fitted Martin strings and replaced the saddle (better plastic saddles are available). I also have a Makala Dolphin that I bought for not much second hand, itís now a great knock about Uke too.

IMHO the Makalas are a great place for beginner to start.

I shall be moving house in the next couple of months and there are other matters needing attention. Thus it will be early January when I buy a ukulele. I would like an electro-acoustic but I am also totally ignorant about connecting up. Financially I wish to be very cautious, just getting enough power to fill a living room, mainly so that my anticipated numerous errors will be very clear to me.

There is thus plenty of time to absorb the knowledge on here before I buy anything.

At the moment I favour the electro-acoustic version of a Kala Makala concert or a similar Brunswick. But I do realise how ignorant I am, so this can easily change in the given time scale.
    Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Fan & Carlisle United Fan

Countdown Of United Kingdom Time Remaining In The European Union

Gear4Music Deluxe Tenor
    Mahilele Soprano

i have both the Makala Dolphin and Concert Shark. They are both serviceable ukuleles. I have them on my couch for whenever I sit down. My kids use them. So yes I think you are right, they are the Squier versions of the USA Strats. Good instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ukeless_ View Post
    I shall be moving house in the next couple of months and there are other matters needing attention. Thus it will be early January when I buy a ukulele. I would like an electro-acoustic but I am also totally ignorant about connecting up. Financially I wish to be very cautious, just getting enough power to fill a living room, mainly so that my anticipated numerous errors will be very clear to me.
    To me your stance is rather puzzling and, without wishing to be rude, I believe that it’s unhelpful to you.

A normal acoustic ukulele should be plenty load enough for you to hear all your errors, we’ll for anyone who doesn’t use hearing aids. Amplification is an unnecessary cost and complication.

Moving home is expensive, it’s expensive if you’re renting somewhere and very expensive if you’re a home owner. Compared to the basic cost of moving and the unpredictable extra costs that you’re almost certain to incur a hundred pounds spent on a Uke is barely noticeable. IMHO it’s pointless delaying and playing might be a useful stress reliever later.

Concert Sharks and Concert Dolphins aren’t available in the U.K. , only Soprano Dolphins can be got here (well that’s all I’ve ever found). A second hand Soprano Dolphin can be had for £20, that’s not much and it will be plenty loud enough for you to hear your errors. It will be loud enough to hear yourself at the Uke Cub too where you’re surrounded by bigger and more expensive instruments (once you get the Dolpin set-up, change the saddle and sort the strings - that doesn’t cost much really and can be done over time). Don’t be Ukeless, shell out twenty quid and be happy.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Adding to Graham's point, you'll need to budget for an amp (or audio interface for your computer) to plug in your electric. If you're on a tight budget you'll end up paying far more to plug in than for the base ukulele. Unless you're performing or recording you probably won't get much use out of plugging in, and you can fairly readily add a clip on microphone or pickup later if you decide you need one.

I strongly recommend recording and listening to yourself as a training aid--it's been a tremendous aid for me--but you don't need a pickup for this. Your phone should be fine for this use.

Whatever else you do, you'll be far better in January if you get a Uke now and start playing it than if you wait!

I've moved house twice in the last 11 years, & having something else to focus on at times is a great stress reliever, get one now, even a cheap one that you might not take with you will be worth the money.

(I had my computers as my distraction.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information