Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kala and Kala Makala brands

I am beginning to feel that I am being cared for on here. Thanks very much everyone.

I appreciate Bill Sheehan informing me that the word 'cosseted' that I originally wrote is not much known outside the UK. There it means 'cared for'. Bill informs me that in the context of this post it might be interpreted as "picked on". Thanks very much to Bill.

I am most assuredly being cared for on here and I thank everyone for that.
    Last edited by _Ukeless_; 10-04-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Fan & Carlisle United No Goals In 381 Home Minutes Fan

Are the Kala Makala Hricanes decent for a complete novice? This range has Soprano, Concert and Tenor instruments. I am in Spain at the moment. For delivery within Spain Amazon has zero charge. The respective prices are 54.99, 65.99 and 69.99 euros, each of these with a bag as illustrated.

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0746DR6SM/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by _Ukeless_; 10-07-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    Ukulele Orchestra Of Great Britain Fan & Carlisle United No Goals In 381 Home Minutes Fan

Hi Ukeless-not-much-longer,
    The pic you sent is not of a Kala or Makala uke. Whatever it is, I've never heard of it, which ins't unusual, because it seems a new seller comes out of China every week.
    I'd recommend you stay away from any uke sold on Amazon. You could wind up unhappy.
    See, we do care!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Oh indeed my mistake Nickie, thanks for that, Hricane is not a sub sub brand of Kala Makala. It is a distinct brand of its own. The mistake that I made was to do a search within Amazon for 'Kala Makala' and assumed that the search results would be only 'Kala Makala'.

Does anybody have one of these Hricanes? Are they known internationally?

I will probably get a beginner variant of a well known brand, likely to be Kala or Kala Makala of some sort.
    Last edited by _Ukeless_; 10-07-2018 at 06:49 PM.

A lot of the "brands" you're looking at come from the same Chinese factory anyway, so what's crucial is that you get your instrument from a place that does a good setup, like Southern Ukulele Store in the U.K. This is the main reason why people will tell you to not buy a uke via Amazon.

To be honest, my advise would be to skip the entry level altogether and go strictly to a decent midrange instrument. There is a fair chance that you will like it and stick to playing it, so you will feel the need to upgrade eventually. A decent instrument in the range of 300-400 will certainly not turn you off the instrument, it will motivate you to practice, and it will eventually save you the money of going through an endless cycle of upgrading from the bottom. And by decent, I don't just mean in terms of build quality, but also working conditions and environmental considerations.

Just like Bill said, I wouldn't push the Fender comparison too far. Basically, Kala started out as a spinoff of Lanikai, then owned by Hohner. Like many other brands, they put their "Kala" name on instruments imported from China. My feeling is that they use the "Makala" name for cheaper products they don't want to associate with their relatively well regarded "Kala" brand name. Their last endeavour was to establish their "Elite" line which is made in California and costs accordingly. So to some extent, Kala went the opposite direction from Fender. And while they have been leading the world's ukulele market for years with their imports, their American line is more at a boutique shop level in terms of output.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    There is actually a store in Carlisle, UK, that looks like it will offer a good set-up. Its called World of Ukes and is located on Cecil St according to the blurb. After seeing some of the promotional material for the store, it does look like a place for a beginner to pick up a good uke. I have not seen it mentioned on UU before, but that does not mean it hasn't been mentioned.
    As it happens I know a couple of people who have used World of Ukes, they were visiting the Lake District and dropped into the (sort of nearby) shop. Id always associate W o U with high end instruments but my club mates found some inexpensive ones available in the shop. A couple of purchases were made and they were pleased with both Ukes and service. The owner used to work at Omega music which, at one time, had a good reputation for Ukes.

You might consider the used market as well. I bought a Makala MK-CE off eBay for $60 and — other than the cheap tuners, which I replaced very easily — I love it. The "E" indicates electric, and it's a passive pickup, so you need an amp to electrify it, but it plays just fine without any extra amplification. The only reason I got it was to see how a plugged-in uke would sound. I figured I would end up rehoming it and get a better uke with a pickup because it was so cheap, but I play it quite often now.
    Martin C1K Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Thread Information