Blasphemy...not digging my UPT tuners??

What's an alto uke? I haven't heard of that, sounds interesting.

I love my concert Kiwaya. I even like to just look at it.

Check out Beansprout Ukuleles. The alto is a special build by the luthier. The body is between a concert and soprano I believe with a concert neck.
I have been seriously craving a Kiwaya Concert forever. Id love the KTC-1. which do you have?

Check out Beansprout Ukuleles. The alto is a special build by the luthier. The body is between a concert and soprano I believe with a concert neck.
I have been seriously craving a Kiwaya Concert forever. Id love the KTC-1. which do you have?

Thanks, I will check them, they're by Aaron Keim, right?

I have the KTC-2. I watched for a used one for months. I think the 2 is more common than the 1, but if you wait, you should be able to get one.

I understand your problem, astein2006, and quite well, indeed. I bought a Koaloha KSM-T2, a soprano body with a tenor neck, last year. As all tenor necks from Koaloha it came with closed geared tuners with the Koaloha logo. They probably work well on a tenor ukulele, but for the soprano body they are way too heavy. I had them replaced by a friend who is an amateur luthier. He had to fill all the holes and drill new ones for the friction tuners (also Gotohs, but I forgot the model number). It now looks like this:

Koaloha Giraffe Head - 1.jpg

You can see something only on the backside, at the front the head looks like new, because he sanded down any trace from the direct tuners, there is nothing to see.

But apart from that I can only agree with everyone talking about a good reason for getting another uke. Unfortunately, Kamakas tend to be on the pricy side, right?

Interesting. I am really not digging the Peghed friction tuners on my Martin tenor. It seems that everyone is out of stock of the all-black Gotoh UPTs. In both standard and long sizes. (The headstock is 13mm thick so I need the longs.) So I wait and I wonder...

Try messaging this seller on eBay. I'm fairly certain she has an all black set of UPTL. I accidentally purchased the wrong listing last week (I needed UPT). I don't see the all black version of UPTL listed currently, but worth asking if you are looking!

Quick side question: Can someone tell me how to find the diameter of the peg holes for a 1955 Harmony Baritone? I'm really interested in the Waverly tuners but don't want to ream out a new hole size.
"Waverly tuners will work properly in peg holes with diameters between 7/32" and 1/4" (5.56mm to 6.35mm)"
- from Stew Mac site

Top Bottom