Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-string strummers, I would like your input

Default 8-string strummers, I would like your input

I am currently borrowing an 8-string concert for the weekend.

My interest is in getting the feel of this set up and to see if it could
    be a good song-leading instrument.

I am requesting any input from those of you who regularly play 8-string
    ukes.

What is it about an 8-string that appeals to you?

If you had been playing a 4 or 6-string uke, what made you make the
    switch to the 8-string?

Do you play the 8-string all the time, or only for certain kinds of songs?

...and whatever other comments and suggestions you may what to
    share.

thanks,

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

A few years ago I bought a very inexpensive 8-string just as a novelty. After giving it a decent setup and adding a coupke accessiries, it's in the keeper category. It gets a lot of playing time because I live the sound - sort of like listening to a duet. Have tried several tunings on it, but cCgGDDAA has been on it for quite a while now. It's neat for strumming and picking.

I like it for folk music, but it can be fun with some rock. Hotel California really sounds cool on it.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T), Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), Lanikai LU-22T (T), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T), Lanikai LB6-S (S)
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)

Ukuleles, Guitars & Banjo tuned CGDA, Mandolin tuned GDAE

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rod Higuchi View Post
    I am currently borrowing an 8-string concert for the weekend.

My interest is in getting the feel of this set up and to see if it could
    be a good song-leading instrument.

I am requesting any input from those of you who regularly play 8-string
    ukes.

What is it about an 8-string that appeals to you?

If you had been playing a 4 or 6-string uke, what made you make the
    switch to the 8-string?

Do you play the 8-string all the time, or only for certain kinds of songs?

...and whatever other comments and suggestions you may what to
    share.

thanks,

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod, I have had the Pono concert taropatch for a few months now and love it. I found I preferred the reentrant tuning also. It's loud and has a great chime. Only issue is it is my first with friction tuners and breaking in the strings is a pain in the neck.

I bought an OU28T. More because it was on sale, and I didn't have one. Fun yo play around with. Nice uke for the $$

What about it appeals to you? I love the more complex sound it puts out. I play it with Island style songs, Tin pan Alley, bluegrass, whatever. Mostly play my Kanile'a, but my Ohana CK-35-8 is a keeper for sure.

PS, I have it strung Taropatch style, with all matched high G. It came with an octave Low G, but I immediately changed strings.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Worth Browns
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Ohana CK-35-8 - Living Water | Kala KA-ACP-CT - Living Water, low G
    UBass: Kala Exotic Mahogany - Road Toad Pahoehoe

I have a Myrtle/Spruce 8-string custom tenor by Mike Periera, I bought it second hand. It's about 12 years old. It's not the loudest 8-string I've ever heard. My friend's Kala is louder. But I really like the more complex sound. I have it strung with an 8-string set of Living Waters fluorocarbon gGcCeeaa. It rings beautifully. I am not an accomplished player, so take this for what it's worth.

I strum on it about once a week. I used it recently for open mike nite at my uke club and played it on "One Kind Favor" ("aka: See That My Grave Is Kept Clean") and it sounded great! Four of us played and sang. 1 Low-G tenor, 1 high-g tenor, the 8-string tenor and a mandolin. The 8-string really paired well with the mandolin. You could virtually "hear the church bells tone" as I strummed it.

I practice and play it to remain familiar with the feel and because I love the sound. But I only use it in public for a particular song. I don't think it will ever be my go-to daily player. But who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
    A few years ago I bought a very inexpensive 8-string just as a novelty. After giving it a decent setup and adding a coupke accessiries, it's in the keeper category. It gets a lot of playing time because I live the sound - sort of like listening to a duet. Have tried several tunings on it, but cCgGDDAA has been on it for quite a while now. It's neat for strumming and picking.

I like it for folk music, but it can be fun with some rock. Hotel California really sounds cool on it.
    I love the mandolin family of instruments, but much prefer the feel and tone of nylon type strings. I have been wanting to pick up a taropatch and tune it in fifths, doubling CGDA (mandola tuning). I like to think it would have a nice timbre to it that I would appreciate very much.

I have a Baton Rouge 8 string and 6 string. I bought the six string first and for straight strumming, I like the 6 string. The gcCeaA tuning really rings for me. Put a capo on the second fret to give, in effect, ADF#B tuning and it sings.

I got the 8 string because I thought with the extra strings, I'd have a Hi/Lo G which would work better for finger picking. After getting it I restrung it gGCCEEAA and it did work quite well finger picked and strummed. After trying a friends Kala 8 string baritone, I retuned ot DGBE with just the D string in octaves and I'm happy with that arrangement. The 8 string is the one I play out and if I want GCEA I can put a capo on the 5th fret.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

I played an 8 string baritone and I couldn't put it down.

Kala 8 String Baritone KA-ABP8-CTG

I liked fingerpicking on it and it was certainly nice for just playing chords. The particular instrument I played had some intonation issues so I will buy it from a place where I know it will be set up properly.

This is an instrument that I would not use on every song but would play on certain songs for variety. In my opinion, it would be good for leading songs.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Quote Originally Posted by bsfloyd View Post
    I love the mandolin family of instruments, but much prefer the feel and tone of nylon type strings. I have been wanting to pick up a taropatch and tune it in fifths, doubling CGDA (mandola tuning). I like to think it would have a nice timbre to it that I would appreciate very much.
    I tried the double-CGDA and it does sound good. The cCgG on the top 4 was just to try something different and it does add to the overall sound. For the double-CGDA the Aquila 31U string set works perfectly.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T), Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), Lanikai LU-22T (T), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T), Lanikai LB6-S (S)
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)

Ukuleles, Guitars & Banjo tuned CGDA, Mandolin tuned GDAE

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Thread Information