Are there names for this fretboard style & cutaway?

That is generally called a “scoop” cutaway. What do you mean by the fretboard style?

Don't all fretboards go the the sound hole? All of mine do and all the ones I've seen. I do have a custom uke whose fretboard only goes to the rosette of the sound hole. I would personally find it extremely weird to have a fretboard that stopped at the body. I often anchor a finger to the side of the fretboard when fingerpicking and I would miss that. Also, I have my fretboard memorized to the 19th fret. If the fretboard didn't go down to the 19th fret, I would totally throw me off. My interest is piqued. I'm going to go looking online. The standard fretboard isn't as standard as I had thought. I want to see some pictures.

okay, after looking at some google image galleries for "ukulele" it seems that Sopranos have fretboards that stop at the body, whereas all the other sizes have full-length fretboards. There were a few exceptions, the vast majority of pictures conformed to this. And that explains why I didn't know about partial fretboards: I have never owned or even had an interest in anything smaller than a tenor. Well, live and learn!

okay, after looking at some google image galleries for "ukulele" it seems that Sopranos have fretboards that stop at the body, whereas all the other sizes have full-length fretboards. There were a few exceptions, the vast majority of pictures conformed to this. And that explains why I didn't know about partial fretboards: I have never owned or even had an interest in anything smaller than a tenor. Well, live and learn!

LOL, the sopranos drove me to getting a tenor cutaway... Of course I failed to notice what you pointed out [thanks BTW]- that fretboards end "prematurely" on sopranos. I don't look down a lot when playing/tinkering. And when I do, it isn't at where the fingerboard ends.

Anyway, found some more pics of the uke in my original post on the iriguchi site. So cool!!
http://iriguchiukuleles.com/project/banshee/

Last edited:
It is cool, but I have to wonder if that scoop is big enough to serve its function. I just received my first cutaway ukulele and I absolutely love the access. But it is fully cut away. Maybe the full cutaway is overkill and all one needs is the scoop.

It is cool, but I have to wonder if that scoop is big enough to serve its function. I just received my first cutaway ukulele and I absolutely love the access. But it is fully cut away. Maybe the full cutaway is overkill and all one needs is the scoop.

But I bet the full kind of cutaway is easier to make than a scoop...
Just took a look at the two Sopranos I have. Apparently not all Sopranos have annoyingly shortchanged fingerboards... Can't wait for the one on the right to get repaired later this month.
1007181130a_HDR~2.jpg

1007181129b_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

The original soprano ukes only had 12 frets, and due to the scale length, the frets would stop at the body. Some other fretted instruments also share this 'limitation'.

I avoid ukes with less than 12 frets (a handful of sopranos are made with more than 12 frets if you look hard enough) because lots of the music I play requires the C5 note, which is the 15th fret on the A string, and I'd rather not have to try and transpose everything nor use artificial harmonics gratuitously in order to get the higher pitches.

Top Bottom