What’s your biggest guitar regret?

S11LKO

Reaction score
Back in 1970, at the age of 14, I was given my first ‘real’ guitar by my cousin’s then 24 year old boyfriend.

Although I loved it, I didn’t realise what it was, and later - having fell in love with The Beatles - I swapped it to a mate in exchange for a 12 inch vinyl’ LP copy of the “Beatles for Sale” album. I regretted it within days but it was too late; he wouldn’t swap it back. I had a 12 month break before buying my next guitar - an EKO 12-string which I still own.

I’ve regretted that swap ever since, especially as I now believe it was a bloody Gibson ES-325!!! The stupidity of youth, eh?

Although I don't think *I've* changed much over the years (see the photo below lol) my guitar collection would certainly look better with that guitar amongst it number.

Have YOU any such regrets??

IMG_2018-10-07_02-38-37.jpg

Last edited:
Believe it was 1966 - had a choice of two used amps - a solid state Standel artist 10 amp & a brown Fender Concert amp. It had 4 - 10" speakers, like a Super Reverb w/o the reverb. Have seen the guitarist on PBS oldies shows using one. Unfortunately I got the Standel.

Used to have a black face Princeton amp with white knobs. Can't believe how much they sell for now.

Bought a Fernandez strat copy w/ humbuckers on my first trip to Japan in the 1980's. Should've kept it - was way nicer than a Fender Jazzmaster I used to have.

I was in the service in Germany in '67. A guy traded a '42 Gibson J45 for a '66 Goya sunburst I had. After I got discharged I bought a Martin D28. I figured I only needed one guitar so sold the Gibson for 250.00. The person never paid me. Such a fool. Too many stories like that in the 61 years of playing. So many great guitars and amps have been won and lost. New stories of ukes being bought and sold regrettably but nothing like the '42 Gibson.

In 2003, I sold my 1986 Pink paisley Telecaster for $400. Dumb.

Ouch to all!!! I'm glad it's not just me but feel for you all.

my biggest regret is that I didn't start learning guitar when I was a kid, I know its never too late to learn but man I regret not learning it years ago, I'm 55 now

I feel a lot of us can identify with THAT my friend, or not having practiced enough, or for letting other things in life get in the way of our playing.

I was contacted by an old school mate a while ago. I haven't seen him since I was 17 at school. When he asked what I'd done with my life, he was surprised - knowing how I was with music/performance at school and how much I enjoyed it - that I hadn't made a career in showbiz/entertainment somehow (not necessarily 'performing' as I've never been that good) but at least associated with it somehow. I must admit it got me thinking "What if I'd focussed and tried harder?'

But you know, what is - IS!

I haven't had a bad life overall and despite a few recent personal 'hiccoughs' I've done ok, and I still enjoy the small and humble musical bits I do. At just turned 62 years of age there's little point in my being anything but happy with my lot...that bloody Gibson I gave away aside!! lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom