Season 347 - Elvis and Nick

Desert Pavement

Rock Doctor
UU VIP
Reaction score
Pretty simple this season - Bring me anything by Elvis Costello or Nick Lowe.

No song limit, BUT, you MUST alternate between songs by Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe. So, if you open up with "Radio, Radio" you have to follow it up with something like "All Men are Liars".

Usual regular rules apply. Multi-tracking O.K., but ukulele must be prominent. Say or otherwise indicate that your video is for Season 347. Songs you have played before are acceptable if you can't otherwise avoid it, but must be newly recorded. Etc.

For the Song Smiths out there, bring me anything that touches on themes that Elvis Costello is known for (e.g., loneliness, doubt, insecurity, imperialism/empire building, etc.). Or, if The Muse doesn't inspire you in that direction, then anything about rivers, figurative or literal, is in bounds. (Not a random ask. I just spent 16 days floating down the Colorado River through Grand Canyon).

I don't know of a similar source for Nick Lowe chords, but here is something for Elvis Costello songs and lyrics and chords if you need a leg up.

Most important, have fun!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
Greetings,

I love fun, and maybe can cook up a tune or two from these greats! Now off to sleep, it’s 1:30 eastern, still too early to post.

��

Thanks Andy!I have to confess to not really being up on Nick Lowe.Other than seeing his name from time to time.Something for me to check out.Elvis Costello I'm bit better on.Here's one I first discovered by hearing Chet Baker's version.Written by EC and his own version is a beauty."Almost Blue"

Straight in with a song that Elvis wrote for George Jones as far back as 1978.

Up the Brits! Great idea for the week, Andy!

Cool. Was just thinking about doing one of my favourite Elvis Costello song so got pleasently surprised when readibg this.

Great theme Andy. I won't get many songs in this week due to my job having an insane workload right now. I've done this song before, but it's been awhile, so it was good to do it again, and I did it in one take. It was co written by Elvis Costello and Jim Lauderdale, and both recorded it, and they have toured together. Costello is a huge Lauderdale fan. Nick Lowe and Lauderdale are also fairly close. Lauderdale used Nick Lowe's producers and his touring band on his "London Southern" CD, and wanted to use Lowe as a producer too, but Lauderdale was too disorganized to pull that part off.

We're off to a strong start, thanks everyone. Off to enjoy some wild outdoors in the hills behind the house. The playlist is up and I've added some sources for Elvis Costello songs and chords to the OP if anyone is looking.

Lot's of stuff out there, and both artists have written music across a range of styles, so there might be no better time than the present if you've been thinking of submitting something but haven't ever yet.

I never have heard Nick Lowe's version of this song, but when I saw it listed as one he did, I jumped on it. Been wanting to try this one for a long time. I did a hybrid of Jess Willard and Johnny Horton classic versions, with some of own arrangement thrown in.

...................... Or, if The Muse doesn't inspire you in that direction, then anything about rivers, figurative or literal, is in bounds. (Not a random ask. I just spent 16 days floating down the Colorado River through Grand Canyon)...........

I've seen some vids about the Colorado River. Is floating the right word?
Saw a documentary about the reenactment of the first successful trip down the canyon in exact replicas of the boats they used. There was some floating but also terrifying boat busting torrents.

paoriginal

Last edited:
I've seen some vids about the Colorado River. Is floating the right word?
Saw a documentary about the reenactment of the first successful trip down the canyon in exact replicas of the boats they used. There was some floating but also terrifying boat busting torrents.

paoriginal

I imagine it was the Powell trip. First trip assuming it was white euro-descended folks. (They pat themselves on the back for being the first but I imagine it's reasonably touted as "first recorded") Just started a book on water rights in the American west (Cadillac Desert) and they touch on the trip as a sort of harbinger about the inauspicious-ness of irrigation and potable water sources out here, west of the Rockies. It's amazing they got as far as they did, right? Although apparently the party split up (arguably disastrously as some were never heard from again), a good portion lived to tell the tale. That Powell character was, among other things, the 2nd director of the U.S. Geological Survey, one of the few institutions without ... ah, I guess I can't reasonably claim there's no blood on their hands. It's all over the place here in our arid chunk of North America.

I imagine it was the Powell trip. First trip assuming it was white euro-descended folks. (They pat themselves on the back for being the first but I imagine it's reasonably touted as "first recorded") Just started a book on water rights in the American west (Cadillac Desert) and they touch on the trip as a sort of harbinger about the inauspicious-ness of irrigation and potable water sources out here, west of the Rockies. It's amazing they got as far as they did, right? Although apparently the party split up (arguably disastrously as some were never heard from again), a good portion lived to tell the tale. That Powell character was, among other things, the 2nd director of the U.S. Geological Survey, one of the few institutions without ... ah, I guess I can't reasonably claim there's no blood on their hands. It's all over the place here in our arid chunk of North America.

Yes that was the group - right at the end of the trip a group got fed up and tried to walk out - they were never seen again. A short time later the rest made it back to 'civilisation'. And yes the 'first' claim and 'discovery' claim are certainly often misused....

Greetings,

Well I fought this vid, and finally have it (well not really) but it is by Elvis Costello and the song is "Girls Talk". The song was harder than I expected.

Ciao

Top Bottom