Season 347 - Elvis and Nick

I've seen some vids about the Colorado River. Is floating the right word?
Saw a documentary about the reenactment of the first successful trip down the canyon in exact replicas of the boats they used. There was some floating but also terrifying boat busting torrents.

I say floating because we didn’t do any of the rowing. We did go through some pretty big rapids though, and there was plenty of bailing. The dories we had have flat bottoms and very shallow draft, so there was no portaging.

The boats:
92FC5389-1549-4EA7-80DA-06AF05962F8A.jpg

Hance Rapid:
ECDEFCAD-D099-4CEB-8F9C-17F4A8A9792D.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine it was the Powell trip. First trip assuming it was white euro-descended folks. (They pat themselves on the back for being the first but I imagine it's reasonably touted as "first recorded") Just started a book on water rights in the American west (Cadillac Desert) and they touch on the trip as a sort of harbinger about the inauspicious-ness of irrigation and potable water sources out here, west of the Rockies. It's amazing they got as far as they did, right? Although apparently the party split up (arguably disastrously as some were never heard from again), a good portion lived to tell the tale. That Powell character was, among other things, the 2nd director of the U.S. Geological Survey, one of the few institutions without ... ah, I guess I can't reasonably claim there's no blood on their hands. It's all over the place here in our arid chunk of North America.

Before Glen Canyon dam they claim the Colorado was too thin to plow but too thick to drink. The Powell expedition was one of four Great Surveys of the west, the reports of which motivated formation of the USGS in 1879. The USGS has at least one office in every State, part of the Bureau’s charge to monitor surface and groundwater amounts and quality. No blood on our hands. What politicians and other policy makers have done with USGS science on the other hand...

Hello, Andy! I'm sure this is not what you were expecting for the Season, but, apparently, it has been covered by Elvis Costello, accompanied by none other than the late and great Larry Adler! (I promise to be a bit more up-to-date with my Nick Lowe effort!)

Great theme Andy :D . One from Elvis to start, co written with former wife and Pogue, Cait O’Riordan. From his fantastic 1989 album Spike. Hope to bring summat from Nick later in the week.

Nick Lowe covered this one in 1977. It was written by Gerry Goffin & Carol King and was a hit in the UK for Billy Fury. The pictures are autumn scenes taken near my house and in a local park "manipulated" in my photo editing software.

The start of another few days away in the van, and that sizzling sound in the background is my long suffering wife frying all sorts of tasty things. Here's a Nick Lowe song.

This is the Elvis Costello song "Man Out of Time", played on a tiple, which is a 10-string steel-string monstrosity. Back during the ukulele's heyday early last century, Martin took a South American instrument and changed it to 10 strings with ukulele tuning. Imagine holding the E string down with a finger, except that it's three strings and the one in the middle is much thicker than the other two. My tiple was made by the Japanese company Yasuma, which made Martin knock-offs until Martin's lawyers stopped them. It's hard to keep it in tune, in the way that it's hard to put toothpaste back into the tube. On my third take, I managed to get the tuning to stay pretty much the same through a four-minute song. This song works better on the tiple than most of the songs I've tried.

Greetings,

This was another fun number, written by Nick Lowe and recorded by Elvis Costello. "What's so Funny....." So I play my new steel string uke and my trusty little soprano uke that I play mostly. No after production or fancy vids, the song was hard enough! Steel strings are tough on the old digits but I've only had it 24 hours so I'm sure I'll improve (hopefully).

Ciao

Elvis Costello recorded this, as did many others: Wondering. I remember it from "way back", either the Webb Pierce or Ernest Tubb version, most likely, and I kind of "arranged" this as I went. ;)

"queen of sheba" by nick lowe

As a big Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello fan, I get Google alerts on them. This one got picked up, and sent out as a Google alert. You're famous!

I don't often check in on the Seasons, but now I know about this one, and will be busy watching all of your videos from this Season. Thanks to all for giving me lots of enjoyment. I'd join in if I knew how to play any of their songs, but sadly, I don't. I'll have to remedy that some day.

This one got picked up, and sent out as a Google alert.
ooooooooooooh! wow! thank you for letting me know about that!

it was a lovely delicate and subtle song................ i'm afraid i normally bring slightly less delicate, slightly more shouty offerings, here is a homemade-y, more in that usual style! about loneliness, AND a river...

Thanks for another great day everyone. We are up to 20 videos, with a decent mix between Costello, Lowe, and originals. Hope to wake up to more entries tomorrow.

I don't often check in on the Seasons, but now I know about this one, and will be busy watching all of your videos from this Season. Thanks to all for giving me lots of enjoyment. I'd join in if I knew how to play any of their songs, but sadly, I don't. I'll have to remedy that some day.

Nick Lowe has a lot of 3 and 4 chord songs, and there is no requirement that you have to sound like him either. Join us please!

House for sale

Late harvest Nick Lowe song.

Code:
[FONT=arial]House for sale[/FONT][FONT=arial]I'm moving out
I'm moving on
This bird has flown
House for sale
I'll tell you where to redirect my mail[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]House for sale
Take a look inside
This is where love
Once did reside
But now it's gone
And that's the reason I'll be traveling on[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]Well the roof has given in to the weather
And the windows rattle and moan
Paint is peeling, cracks in the ceiling
Whatever's happened to my happy home
House for sale I've had enough
I'll send a van to get my stuff house for sale 
I'm leaving like I'm getting out of jail[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]The stairs are alarmingly shaky
And the carpet threadbare and worn
Fence needs mending
Garden needs tending[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]How soon it's become overgrown
[/FONT][FONT=arial]House for sale I've had enough[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]I'll send a van to get my stuff house for sale [/FONT]
[FONT=arial]I'm leaving like I'm getting out of jail[/FONT]

Last edited:
Nick Lowe released this cover as a single.Was a minor hit for Elvis P. I much prefer Nick Lowe's version....not so schmaltzy.I didn't know the song but was attracted by the title.When I read about NL's cover he said he loved the title.Me and Nick have so much in common!
"True Love travels on a gravel road"

Top Bottom