Season 347 - Elvis and Nick

So here's another I'm surprised hasn't already cropped up this week - this one by Nick Lowe:

an original song for the season;
guess it's a sorta meditation on the interwoven themes of
isolation, loneliness, mortality, the search for meaning:
hope deferred makes the heart sick

SHORE (PROVERS 13:12)

I'm standing on the shore like a bird without wings
Grey skies up above,
My soul is fixed on bigger things
Than what my eyes can see from down here on the ground;
Slithering like an eel between the lost and found

Hope deferred makes the heart sick
And I don't feel so good
But I think I'd rather fail than keep on wishing that I could
Hillary climbed a mountain and still he made it home
Did he feel the way I feel standing all alone?

My day will come
One day I will rise up like the morning sun
One day my day will come

Jesus raised up Lazarus at his appointed time
Fed five thousand people with a single fishing line
I will hoist a sail on this shore from which I stare
And try to find the reason Someone put me here

My day will come
One day my day will come

Shakespeare was a writer, Nero was a fiddler
Ali was a fighter, Casanova was a diddler:
My heroes have all gone to the sands of time
Washed up on this shore around these feet of mine

My day will come
And shed this skin
The sea will wash me clean and I will fly into the flame
One day my day will come

Hello, Andy! This is my Nick Lowe submission - although, actually, Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello sung this together; so I hope it counts. I have been having the most awful trouble with YouTube today and I have a feeling the vid. might be a bit unsynchronized (for which I apologise); but, then, I HAVE been feeling rather unsynchronized today!

I attended the legendary Three Day Mud Bath that was the Bickershaw Festival in North West England in May 1972. Wandering among the crowds was one Declan McManus - who would later go on to call himself Elvis Costello. Our experiences at this Festival were turning points in our lives.

This is the tale of that meeting of stoned minds.

Del... you have beaten me to it, again. LOL. Anyway, here is my version of Nick Lowe's 'Cruel to be kind'. Spend way too many hours on this but had such great fun with my new aNueNue solid electric concert ukulele.

Our little acoustic trio Kitchen Kings has some Elvis Costello songs in its repertoire, among them New Amsterdam, that has already been done beautifully by Chelsea.

Last edited:
Greetings,

I found myself on google search under This Year’s Girl covers in the first picture. I NEVER come up. It must not be a cover that’s done often. OMG. I know it means nothing but somehow it makes me happy. That probably sounds a bit narcissistic but really I am blown away.

Ciao

Ciao

that's great! you might find your views count for that vid goes through the roof!

Accidents will happen. Especially my vocals on the last chorus. I decided it's been too long since I used the Electro-Harmonix Mel9 box, so I used it here.

Playlist updated to here. Keep them coming everyone. I hope you’re all having as much fun playing as I have been listening to all these songs. Thanks!

I was looking at the placards that homeless people hold up.
It seems they have lost everything except their sense of humour.
You have to ask yourself how do so many people become homeless.
Is it their own fault or has their government failed them somehow?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Code:
[FONT=arial]I should be filling rooms with the sweet smell of success
[/FONT][FONT=arial]I'm a mess look at what I've been reduced to
I don't blame you for sayin' no when you should have said yes
But darlin', darlin', darlin', look at me now I'm a mess
I'm a mess, I'm a wreck
I'm really on the deck
I'm a mess, look at how I'm living
Some of these days I'm gonna get back on my feet and quit this blue address
But darlin', darlin', darlin', in the meantime I'm a mess
The smart set, I used to run around with are invisible now
They all cut me loose when one said that what I've got 
might just rub of on [/FONT][FONT=arial]Them somehow
I'm a mess, for want of your caress
[/FONT][FONT=arial]Darlin', darlin', darlin', look at me now I'm a mess[/FONT]

Last edited:
Dave Edmunds had a big hit with this Nick Lowe song. I don’t know if it’s intentional or not, but it seems to have a You Never Can Tell, Chuck Berry, feel to it. This will almost certainly be my last for this season, but it’s been a great opportunity for me ( Thanks Andy :D) to develop my sketchy knowledge of Nick Lowe’s work; what a fantastic songwriter he is.

Hi all, trying to squeeze one in this week, I first heard Elvis Costello's "So Like Candy" a few days ago, and immediately loved it, what a great song! The original has a cool tremolo guitar, and a lot of twists and turns, for me at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKGQaSFEjE

It was really a stretch for me to figure out what I considered a rather complex song, then to transpose for my voice. But, I learned a bunch of new chords, and a great new song. A bit later, I discovered that it had actually been written by Paul McCartney. I hope I did justice to this great song.

It may have been mentioned, but Elvis Costello will be on BBC Radio 4 on Saturday morning. 10:30 BST.

Was working on this one, then when ready to post, saw that it has already been covered by 2 other Seasonistas, who both did fine jobs. Hopefully mine is a bit different, and I'm not being kind of cruel by posting it anyway!

Neil armstrong was the first man on the moon. Seven years earlier he lost his daughter
when she was 3 to a brain tumour. Mark Kermode in his review of The first man says
the movie is not so much about going to the moon but about loneliness and grief,
In the movie Ryan Gosling sings this nursery rhyme to his daughter as she goes to sleep
on his shoulder. And that is why I played it for SOTU 347 cos the OP said we could do a song
about loneliness, and why the mood is sad.
Here is the review of the movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NooV-ZrslG8
And if you want ot see the trailer go here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4GtJB5WAlQ

Most river songs are written with the river as a benign force.But there is always another side.An original for the week.On Baritone in DGAD tuning."When I was a Riverman"

When I was a Riverman
I’d flood your golden plain
With promises of love so deep
No doubt could remain

I’d wash and swale
Embellish my tale
With emotions seeming raw
Even grains of salt
Would be taken with what they saw

Riverman, Riverman
The fury and the sound
Noone knows best
Is it water or flesh
Is it hollow Is it ground?

Riverman,Riverman
Always changing shape
Canyons are gorged
Checks are forged
Who’s buried in the bank

Mother tell your children
Beware the Riverman
If your levee ain’t strong enough
He’ll drown you if he can.

Last edited:
In 1989 Elvis Costello and Paul McCartney wrote and recorded a big batch of songs, most of which ended up on Paul's "Flowers In The Dirt" album. This could be the most popular of those collaborations (possibly after "Veronica").

Top Bottom