Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 347 - Elvis and Nick

Default Season 347 - Elvis and Nick

Pretty simple this season - Bring me anything by Elvis Costello or Nick Lowe.

No song limit, BUT, you MUST alternate between songs by Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe. So, if you open up with "Radio, Radio" you have to follow it up with something like "All Men are Liars".

Usual regular rules apply. Multi-tracking O.K., but ukulele must be prominent. Say or otherwise indicate that your video is for Season 347. Songs you have played before are acceptable if you can't otherwise avoid it, but must be newly recorded. Etc.

For the Song Smiths out there, bring me anything that touches on themes that Elvis Costello is known for (e.g., loneliness, doubt, insecurity, imperialism/empire building, etc.). Or, if The Muse doesn't inspire you in that direction, then anything about rivers, figurative or literal, is in bounds. (Not a random ask. I just spent 16 days floating down the Colorado River through Grand Canyon).

I don't know of a similar source for Nick Lowe chords, but here is something for Elvis Costello songs and lyrics and chords if you need a leg up.

Most important, have fun!

PLAYLIST
    Last edited by Desert Pavement; 10-07-2018 at 06:30 AM.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Greetings,

I love fun, and maybe can cook up a tune or two from these greats! Now off to sleep, it’s 1:30 eastern, still too early to post.

��
    "There are purple trees, my other mind has seen. So many things this one has not, so many things this one forgot. They never existed or did they? My other mind would know". gsc

Thanks Andy!I have to confess to not really being up on Nick Lowe.Other than seeing his name from time to time.Something for me to check out.Elvis Costello I'm bit better on.Here's one I first discovered by hearing Chet Baker's version.Written by EC and his own version is a beauty."Almost Blue"

An Elvis Costello song.

Straight in with a song that Elvis wrote for George Jones as far back as 1978.

www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

Up the Brits! Great idea for the week, Andy!
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

Here is my take on Alison, I went down two steps to get this in my Vocal range, that Elvis is some singer .
    My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/xommen
    My soundclouds: https://soundcloud.com/wvommen, https://soundcloud.com/uke22live
    The band: http://www.uke22.nl
    My ukes:
    Soprano: Black Korala, Bach Spruce top
    Concert: Epiphone Les Paul, Ohana CKS-15E, Makawao UK 40, Richwood
    Tenor:
    Hudson HUK-T.

Cool. Was just thinking about doing one of my favourite Elvis Costello song so got pleasently surprised when readibg this.

Great theme Andy. I won't get many songs in this week due to my job having an insane workload right now. I've done this song before, but it's been awhile, so it was good to do it again, and I did it in one take. It was co written by Elvis Costello and Jim Lauderdale, and both recorded it, and they have toured together. Costello is a huge Lauderdale fan. Nick Lowe and Lauderdale are also fairly close. Lauderdale used Nick Lowe's producers and his touring band on his "London Southern" CD, and wanted to use Lowe as a producer too, but Lauderdale was too disorganized to pull that part off.

We're off to a strong start, thanks everyone. Off to enjoy some wild outdoors in the hills behind the house. The playlist is up and I've added some sources for Elvis Costello songs and chords to the OP if anyone is looking.

Lot's of stuff out there, and both artists have written music across a range of styles, so there might be no better time than the present if you've been thinking of submitting something but haven't ever yet.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Thread Information