Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 347 - Elvis and Nick

can we do two versions (back to back) of What's So Funny Bout ... ?

(semi-facetious)
    Last edited by UkuleleLow; 10-07-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: semi-facetiousness

I never have heard Nick Lowe's version of this song, but when I saw it listed as one he did, I jumped on it. Been wanting to try this one for a long time. I did a hybrid of Jess Willard and Johnny Horton classic versions, with some of own arrangement thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Pavement View Post
    ...................... Or, if The Muse doesn't inspire you in that direction, then anything about rivers, figurative or literal, is in bounds. (Not a random ask. I just spent 16 days floating down the Colorado River through Grand Canyon)...........
    I've seen some vids about the Colorado River. Is floating the right word?
    Saw a documentary about the reenactment of the first successful trip down the canyon in exact replicas of the boats they used. There was some floating but also terrifying boat busting torrents.

paoriginal
    Last edited by pabrizzer; 10-07-2018 at 02:45 PM.

"queen of sheba" by nick lowe

lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Quote Originally Posted by pabrizzer View Post
    I've seen some vids about the Colorado River. Is floating the right word?
    Saw a documentary about the reenactment of the first successful trip down the canyon in exact replicas of the boats they used. There was some floating but also terrifying boat busting torrents.

paoriginal
    I imagine it was the Powell trip. First trip assuming it was white euro-descended folks. (They pat themselves on the back for being the first but I imagine it's reasonably touted as "first recorded") Just started a book on water rights in the American west (Cadillac Desert) and they touch on the trip as a sort of harbinger about the inauspicious-ness of irrigation and potable water sources out here, west of the Rockies. It's amazing they got as far as they did, right? Although apparently the party split up (arguably disastrously as some were never heard from again), a good portion lived to tell the tale. That Powell character was, among other things, the 2nd director of the U.S. Geological Survey, one of the few institutions without ... ah, I guess I can't reasonably claim there's no blood on their hands. It's all over the place here in our arid chunk of North America.

Quote Originally Posted by UkuleleLow View Post
    I imagine it was the Powell trip. First trip assuming it was white euro-descended folks. (They pat themselves on the back for being the first but I imagine it's reasonably touted as "first recorded") Just started a book on water rights in the American west (Cadillac Desert) and they touch on the trip as a sort of harbinger about the inauspicious-ness of irrigation and potable water sources out here, west of the Rockies. It's amazing they got as far as they did, right? Although apparently the party split up (arguably disastrously as some were never heard from again), a good portion lived to tell the tale. That Powell character was, among other things, the 2nd director of the U.S. Geological Survey, one of the few institutions without ... ah, I guess I can't reasonably claim there's no blood on their hands. It's all over the place here in our arid chunk of North America.
    Yes that was the group - right at the end of the trip a group got fed up and tried to walk out - they were never seen again. A short time later the rest made it back to 'civilisation'. And yes the 'first' claim and 'discovery' claim are certainly often misused....

Season 347. "In The Arms Of The River" - A Turtledrum Original (Copyright Linda Opyr, 2018)

Thank you so much for your great theme and hosting, Andy! I look forward to learning more about the music of Elvis and Nick.

Here's an original I wrote for your Season this morning.

I think this is the promo of the show I saw -

Quote Originally Posted by UkuleleLow View Post
    can we do two versions (back to back) of What's So Funny Bout ... ?

(semi-facetious)
    One “What’s so funny” per person, but you can use it it play 3 of either Elvis or Nick in a row.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Greetings,

Well I fought this vid, and finally have it (well not really) but it is by Elvis Costello and the song is "Girls Talk". The song was harder than I expected.

Ciao

"There are purple trees, my other mind has seen. So many things this one has not, so many things this one forgot. They never existed or did they? My other mind would know". gsc

Thread Information