Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 347 - Elvis and Nick

Elvis Costello recorded the song "She" in 1999. Originally it's a French song "Tous les visages de l'amour" (1974) by Herbert Kretzmer and Charles Aznavour, who passed away on 1st October at the age of 94. Here is an instrumental version, tabs by R. J. Putter (again!):

Greetings,

While watching "The Deuce" last night on Netflix, I realized the theme song was an Elvis Costello song! So this is my Elvis submission, considering my second to be Nick Lowe since he wrote it. So.....here it is. By the way, the show is NOT PG. I did this version like it's played in the show with the female vocal taking the lead.

Ciao

"There are purple trees, my other mind has seen. So many things this one has not, so many things this one forgot. They never existed or did they? My other mind would know". gsc

Here's a country classic that a plethora or artists have recorded, including Elvis Costello. I never have tried this one before, did a very quick work up and take.

i'm hoping to either write something or at least learn another Lowe or Costello song
    over these next days, but in the meantime, this is a baritone cover of Nick Lowe's
    'House For Sale' that i did a little over three years ago. sorry it's not a new recording
    Andy, but i thought you might like to hear it brother nonetheless.

This was harder than I expected.

a second homemade-y from me, hope that's ok, on the blues-friendly theme of loneliness

lynda

get it on, bang a gong, get it on

Surprised to be the first with this Elvis Costello classic. I agonised a bit with the lyrics - in the original Elvis drops the 'N' bomb - though not in a racist way and entirely in context with his message. Nonetheless it's a word I can't bring myself to say/sing and I substituted it, as others have done, with the conveniently rhyming word 'figure'.
    I added a percussion beat again to this one simply to stop myself speeding up the tempo - something I constantly fight against.

Last edited by DelGriff; 10-11-2018 at 04:08 AM.

I’m going to be a bit cheeky here and put this one up as an Elvis Costello song. I know his version best and for many many years I thought Elvis had written it. I know different now of course. It’s a Nick song originally from his time with Brinsley Schwartz. I hope to be back tomorrow with another Nick song, but in the meantime, what a song this is!

Quote Originally Posted by mountain goat View Post
    i'm hoping to either write something or at least learn another Lowe or Costello song
    over these next days, but in the meantime, this is a baritone cover of Nick Lowe's
    'House For Sale' that i did a little over three years ago. sorry it's not a new recording
    Andy, but i thought you might like to hear it brother nonetheless.
    Thanks for reposting this Jon, I’ve added it to the playlist even though it’s not new. #1, I have a soft spot for this song. And #2, I remember when you first posted it. Right after I bought my 1st ukulele a few years ago and was looking around YT to see what you could do with it, this was one of the videos I found that inspired me to stick with it through the early frustrating stretches. Here’s another one (from a series with some really good covers... the Seasons remind me of it in some ways).

Alas, A.V. Club has privatized their back-catalog of these. There were some real gems.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Greetings,

I found myself on google search under This Year’s Girl covers in the first picture. I NEVER come up. It must not be a cover that’s done often. OMG. I know it means nothing but somehow it makes me happy. That probably sounds a bit narcissistic but really I am blown away.

Ciao

Ciao
    "There are purple trees, my other mind has seen. So many things this one has not, so many things this one forgot. They never existed or did they? My other mind would know". gsc

Thread Information