Season 347 - Elvis and Nick

Ugh. I am practicing for a live gig this week or I would be here. Please excuse my absence...damn, I have a dog named for a Costello song. He is wondering why I am not playing it. Oliver’s army.zzzz

Thanks for hosting, Andy!
I used to listen to the album Brutal Youth by Elvis Costello when I was painting in my art space, years ago.
I loved that album. Still do. I actually am not familiar with his other albums, other than Painted From Memory
which he collaborated with Burt Bacharach. That one is great too.
I have covered the song You Tripped At Every Step from Brutal Youth, twice, for previous seasons.
His lyrics blew me away. Have been learning to play Favourite Hour from the same album too, but I think maybe
I won't put you guys through my version. hehe.
Such a great song writer he is. Nick Lowe too, although I only know a few of his songs.
Anyway, so I was playing around with the bongos today and recorded something. Added soprano uke, guitar and vocals.
Jon added guitar, baritone uke and wooden frog percussion.
It is for the theme on "loneliness". The image in the video...those ants, when I saw that I had to take a photo of it. Loved it.
Hope you have been enjoying the entries so far... I am sure you are! I will try to catch some of the videos tomorrow.
Hope you guys and girls will enjoy this!
We had fun playing on this.

Ugh. I am practicing for a live gig this week or I would be here. Please excuse my absence...damn, I have a dog named for a Costello song. He is wondering why I am not playing it. Oliver’s army.zzzz

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TCK!!!! :cool:

Birthday Kid? Best wishes!!!

Here is what I managed this week :)

A Nick Lowe song that I first heard in Ralfs awesome rendition for another season once.
Soe songs you hear trough the seasons, and they just stick in your head.

Last edited:

Good luck with your gig Dave. Throw something up on the island if you don’t get around to it before Sunday and I’ll add it to the playlist for posterity.

And do we share the same birthday (didn’t you all know all this music is one of the best gifts I get)? Hope you have/had a good one!

I have been trying to stay low due to work and stuff, but this song grabbed me by the throat and would not let go of me until I learned to play it. No wonder it is so well known and loved the world over.

I first saw Elvis Costello in 1981, at the old War Memorial Gym, UBC, Vancouver, B.C. He and the band played well enough, but there was zero interaction with the audience. I don't think he uttered one word between songs the whole night, let alone a 'Good Evening' & 'Good Night'. Raised as I had been on a diet of Rod the Mod & the Faces, it was by far and away the most joyless musical experience of my then 23 years and still sets for me the benchmark of joyless performances.

I think I may have seen him & the Attractions a second time, but if I have, I've blanked it. The (?)third time I saw him was in 1989, a solo show at London's Albert Hall (I think I must have been on a date, 'cos I don't think I'd have gone voluntarily. Don't get me wrong, I like his music, but he has the most miserable on-stage persona of any musician I've ever seen). That night, he did actually speak to his audience; once, about half-way through his set.

He was supported that night by Nick Lowe, who I'd first seen back in 1976, playing bass for Brinsley Schwarz, who also gave a solo performance, including a premiere of the number I've covered, accompanying himself on bass guitar alone (it wasn't released till 1990). It was the highlight of the evening. I'm sure someone else must have covered it by now, but no-one had as of two days ago, despite DP name-checking it in his introduction to his Season.

Since I saw you all last, I've been to a couple of uke-events: the Uke-East festival in Norwich, where I gave a workshop and fell flat on my face (no, I really did - I spent the first evening of the festival in the local ER getting stitches in my jaw!); and the Ukulele Society of GB's semi-annual get-together in Welwyn Garden City.

The more relevant news though is that in that time, my computer's graphics card has fried, and as I don't have a smartphone or tablet, the only access to the internet I have is when I can borrow my friend's laptop when she's out at work.

Which is all a long-winded way of saying that this is probably going to my sole contribution to the Season. Hope you enjoy it (or do I?? :) )

The computer's really slow at rendering, so the video lags behind the audio most of the time.

Last edited:
Dog Pile! Here is another "Cruel To Be Kind." I could not help myself.

I clearly remember posting this last night, but it's not here, so I guess I hallucinated the whole thing. Anyway, an original song about a river.

Here's a beautiful song Elvis Costello co-wrote with T-Bone Burnett, who described it as an "anti-fear song."

This requires some explaining.

Rykodisc reissued Elvis Costello’s Columbia albums when I was in high school. My mom, my brother, and I had moved to a duplex with Mom’s sister and her twin daughters. Mom’s sister has a massive cocaine addiction, and she would frequently abuse me when she was on her benders. I fantasized about spiking her stash with rat poison. When I wrote this I was thinking of Elvis Costello’s quote about revenge and guilt, and wrote it from that perspective. Big content warning for child abuse and dead parents.

Everybody’s probably moved on to Jon’s politically incorrect season, but I wanted to get in one more tune. From Elvis this time. This was a bonus track on the King of America reissue.

Top Bottom