Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Pono ACD Concert - REVIEW

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,154

    Default Pono ACD Concert - REVIEW

    Never been let down by Pono before. This doesn't change that!

    https://www.gotaukulele.com/2018/10/...le-review.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

    www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

    Help Support Got A Ukulele!

    Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    CH
    Posts
    1,516

    Default

    I fully agree: I have owned about 9 instruments from Pono and have never been disappointed. As you say: best bang for the buck and well worth to pay a bit more than for the usual mass produced import ukes from an anonymous, ubiquous Chinese factory.

    I also agree with your dislike of the Ko'olau factory strings. Except for their new Fluorocarbon "Aho" sets which are great.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Gloucester, UK
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Interestingly, your comments on the volume are exactly how I found my Pono tenor. Tone and sustain were wonderful but I like a little more effortless response in terms of volume. I prefer it a bit more "in your face" as you would say Baz!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Hi Baz,

    Thanks for posting your review.

    I received mine today, as a surprise gift-an incredible gift; however, I'm struggling to gel with it. A couple of months ago, I purchased a Snail Solid Mahogany Concert (as recommended by Baz), which I promptly broke weeks later (unfortunate story). While my Snail isn't perfect (the seams on the back don't line up), but it sounds worse after watching it bounce across the pavement. However, I enjoyed it for the loud, deep sounds (although it's not clear), and it was relatively enjoyable to play.

    The Pono ACD is a cleaner sound, a better build, but it's so quiet and high sounding that it's bothering me.

    After a discussion with the store, they've pushed me towards a KoAloha Spruce Concert; however, I hate to say it, the Spruce is not a looker. And while I know my decision should be based on more about the sound than the look, I'm not loving the thought of parting with that much cash for something I won't love.

    But here's the rub: I have asked for another alternative to these two, and have been told there's nothing in the price range (500-600) that would be a contender for a low and loud sounding alternative. I've been advised not to bother with the Ko'aloha Acacia as there wouldn't be much variation between it and the Pono.

    KoAloha Spruce can't be the only option. So, I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a few models, even lower priced ones. Not fussed about brand, but would like to find a balance between a clean low-loud-looker.

    Look forward to your responses. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by Jami; 10-09-2018 at 08:14 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Rochester, Kent UK
    Posts
    148

    Default

    You'd be best reposting this in the general discussion forum - but.....
    I would think about going to Dave Morgan or Tin Guitar and get what you want made to your wishes - they are both excellent builders.

    Otherwise I'd look at the Anuenue spruce top they have at SUS - its a better looking Spruce (my opinion anyway), but it does cost a little more than you want.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jami View Post
    Hi Baz,

    Thanks for posting your review.

    I received mine today, as a surprise gift-an incredible gift; however, I'm struggling to gel with it. A couple of months ago, I purchased a Snail Solid Mahogany Concert (as recommended by Baz), which I promptly broke weeks later (unfortunate story). While my Snail isn't perfect (the seams on the back don't line up), but it sounds worse after watching it bounce across the pavement. However, I enjoyed it for the loud, deep sounds (although it's not clear), and it was relatively enjoyable to play.

    The Pono ACD is a cleaner sound, a better build, but it's so quiet and high sounding that it's bothering me.

    After a discussion with the store, they've pushed me towards a KoAloha Spruce Concert; however, I hate to say it, the Spruce is not a looker. And while I know my decision should be based on more about the sound than the look, I'm not loving the thought of parting with that much cash for something I won't love.

    But here's the rub: I have asked for another alternative to these two, and have been told there's nothing in the price range (500-600) that would be a contender for a low and loud sounding alternative. I've been advised not to bother with the Ko'aloha Acacia as there wouldn't be much variation between it and the Pono.

    KoAloha Spruce can't be the only option. So, I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a few models, even lower priced ones. Not fussed about brand, but would like to find a balance between a clean low-loud-looker.

    Look forward to your responses. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by JesterBlod; 10-09-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    T Ziegenspeck, P Howlett, K Mulcock, R Morgan, Hamano, Blackbird, WOU, Cigar Box, Enya, Makala

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks, Jester.

    Yes, wrong place to post, apologies.

    Thanks for taking the time to suggest a couple of models/builders. I'll check those out now.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Nashville, TN USA
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jami View Post
    Hi Baz,

    Thanks for posting your review.

    I received mine today, as a surprise gift-an incredible gift; however, I'm struggling to gel with it. A couple of months ago, I purchased a Snail Solid Mahogany Concert (as recommended by Baz), which I promptly broke weeks later (unfortunate story). While my Snail isn't perfect (the seams on the back don't line up), but it sounds worse after watching it bounce across the pavement. However, I enjoyed it for the loud, deep sounds (although it's not clear), and it was relatively enjoyable to play.

    The Pono ACD is a cleaner sound, a better build, but it's so quiet and high sounding that it's bothering me.

    After a discussion with the store, they've pushed me towards a KoAloha Spruce Concert; however, I hate to say it, the Spruce is not a looker. And while I know my decision should be based on more about the sound than the look, I'm not loving the thought of parting with that much cash for something I won't love.

    But here's the rub: I have asked for another alternative to these two, and have been told there's nothing in the price range (500-600) that would be a contender for a low and loud sounding alternative. I've been advised not to bother with the Ko'aloha Acacia as there wouldn't be much variation between it and the Pono.

    KoAloha Spruce can't be the only option. So, I'm hoping someone might be able to suggest a few models, even lower priced ones. Not fussed about brand, but would like to find a balance between a clean low-loud-looker.

    Look forward to your responses. Thanks so much.
    Loud and sweet describe the Martin T1-K. It's awesome!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Photodan View Post
    Loud and sweet describe the Martin T1-K. It's awesome!
    Thanks PD

    Well, I've ignored the store advice, one person's advice at least. The other shop assistant was in favour of the Ukulele I went for: the Opio Acacia Concert with a long neck, because it was the first one they bought when they started at the store and still love, so if this is the Uke they could love among so many, then that's good enough for me.

    Not sure how difficult it'll be to play with a long neck, but I'll test it out when it arrives -- hopefully on Wednesday.

    Thanks again for all your help. If I don't get on with the Opio, I'll work my way through your list

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Nashville, TN USA
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jami View Post
    Thanks PD

    Well, I've ignored the store advice, one person's advice at least. The other shop assistant was in favour of the Ukulele I went for: the Opio Acacia Concert with a long neck, because it was the first one they bought when they started at the store and still love, so if this is the Uke they could love among so many, then that's good enough for me.

    Not sure how difficult it'll be to play with a long neck, but I'll test it out when it arrives -- hopefully on Wednesday.

    Thanks again for all your help. If I don't get on with the Opio, I'll work my way through your list
    I think you made a good choice from all I've heard about the Opio line. I don't live where I could play one - enjoy!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    6

    Default

    PD, I almost regret having to say how much I love it (since you can't get your hands on one). Sorry to hear that.

    It has arrived, it is a beauty: amazing grain, the pegs are quality, the nut is perfectly positioned, and it sings, really sings--great volume on it too.

    Sure the spruce might have been the better choice for a type of sound, but I wanted the full package of a good looking singer.

    Happy

    Now I need to find a cheap concert to bash about with that sounds good enough, but can cope with a kid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Photodan View Post
    I think you made a good choice from all I've heard about the Opio line. I don't live where I could play one - enjoy!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •