Guitar pro 1.8.2

Lacole

Reaction score
I wanted an app to create tablature on my new iPad 9.7, so I read through past post regarding apps and purchased guitar pro 1.8.2 for my iPad. iPad version of guitar pro 7.

I wanted an app that would create treble clef and tablature for ukulele. The addition of chords would also be nice. The app description indicated that it should be able to create treble clef notation and tablature (for guitar) ... I have created several scores for guitar or ukulele but have found no option to create the treble clef, and there doesn’t seem to be any way to remove measures from the score.

Am I missing something?

(Is this the correct forem for this post?)

The mobile version of Guitar Pro has very limited creation functionality. You'll need the desktop version to create standard notation.

This is called out on the FAQ on its App Store page:

Q: Can I create or edit sheet music with this app?
A: Unlike Guitar Pro for Windows and Mac, this app does not let you change the notation in an existing Guitar Pro file, or create sheet music in standard notation. It is however possible to edit a single-track tablature with the NotePad tool. Editing a drum track is not available with the NotePad tool.

IIRC, measure management was one of the things that defied me when I did the Guitar Pro trial month, so I gave up on it. For the simple things I'm doing at least, Musescore was easier, and it's free! It may not suit you since Musescore doesn't have a mobile editor app at all, but for me my iPad Mini is too small to read music on anyway!

I’ve re-read the description and preview of guitar pro in APP store. It’s deceptive. The preview show created staff and tablature. The description indicates a long list of what you should be able, but the actual product cannot do this.

I wish I had seen your review.

I use Notion for standard notation and tab for ukulele. Also does chord symbols. I’m not sure about chord diagrams. I use GuitarToolkit for that but it doesn’t do any kind of staff or tab.

I use Notion for standard notation and tab for ukulele. Also does chord symbols. I’m not sure about chord diagrams. I use GuitarToolkit for that but it doesn’t do any kind of staff or tab.

What is a chord diagram? Notion for Mac/Win allows,for custom chords as well.

Ah, yes. While they do not show finger numbers, there are stock chord diagrams available for ukulele in Notion for iOS, as well as customizable in the Win/Mac version (I actually provided the shapes to Notion for inclusion).

Can you tell me who created ‘tab’. Searching for tab in App Store brings up a huge list.

Notion looks good but rather pricey.

Last edited:
Can you tell me who created ‘tab’.

Notion looks good but rather pricey.
Maybe I don't understand the question. Tab has been around for hundreds of years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablature

Notion is somewhat pricey relative to many iOS apps, but $15-20 is getting to be fairly common for music apps of this complexity. Consider that the desktop version is $150. I'm sure it does more, but I bet it doesn't do ten times more.

Last edited:
I am looking for an iPad 9.7 app to create treble staff and tablature notation for an ukulele. I can find guitar, but that doesn’t help so much when you want it for an ukulele.

Coming from the Mac/Win side of music publishing applications, to think that Notion for iOS is too expensive is funny for me. The high quality sounds sold with Notion (a $30 in-app purchase for all of them, if memory serves) are often sold for $300-$600 via other Mac/Win programs. Full versions of Finale, Sibelius, and Dorico are in the $600 range. You can get every aspect of Notion for about $60.

You can download MuseScore for free (not iOS), but that’s another thing all together.

If Notion is too much, look at flat.io and Noteflight, both Web based apps that will allow for staff and tablature, too.

I am looking for an iPad 9.7 app to create treble staff and tablature notation for an ukulele. I can find guitar, but that doesn’t help so much when you want it for an ukulele.
As already mentioned, Notion is a great option.
HsO1wr9l.png

Last edited:
As already mentioned, Notion is a great option.
HsO1wr9l.png

Notions does look like it has the features I am looking for. Does it do chord diagrams.

The iPad is relatively new to me. I worked with pc for decades. I have window programs that will do what I want, but I do not want to use my elderly laptop when I have a shiny new iPad.

Does it do chord diagrams.

Choirguy says it does. I haven’t used it for that. Trying it now for the first time, I have to say that particular feature doesn’t work that well for me, but maybe I’m doing something wrong. At any rate, I tend to do a lot of weird voicings and I don’t see a way to do that in Notion. GuitarToolkit is great for that.

Choirguy says it does. I haven’t used it for that. Trying it now for the first time, I have to say that particular feature doesn’t work that well for me, but maybe I’m doing something wrong. At any rate, I tend to do a lot of weird voicings and I don’t see a way to do that in Notion. GuitarToolkit is great for that.

I looked at GuitarToolkit, it supports ukulele but It does seem to do tabs. Tabtoolkit does, but does not seem to support ukulele.

Top Bottom