Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ukulele You've Played

Nice write up and some videos here, for those who want to be tempted by a LFDM.
    http://www.theukulelereview.com/2014...custom-tenors/

Is tenor the only size?

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I hadn't heard of them. I'm off to Google to check them out.
    Hope that you get to have one in the near future.
    Thanks!

I personally really enjoy owning instruments made in my "home" areas (Hawai'i or California). That's admittedly part of what makes Tyde instruments so appealing to me. The quality is extremely good though, from what I saw. At the LA Uke festival, Devin (one of the two builders) showed me some of the incredible instruments they have built using reclaimed woods. Lots of really creative work- they've used wood reclaimed from docks, roof shingles, walls, you name it. The instruments they create with all of these materials sound really, really good- up there with the absolute best in the ukulele field.

Their designs are all wood (no plastic, no shell, no "bling" in the traditional sense). Here is a pretty incredible build in progress, I really want one like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQGVwslF...n-by=tydemusic

My favorite uke of the ones I own is an all-Koa Moore Bettah tenor. I've played a couple of other Moore Bettahs that I like more than my own (due to their being constructed from different tonewoods).

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    I'm a concert player, and my favorite has been Kinnard.
    John Kinnard built me a tenor guitar with a spruce top and Padauk back and sides, one of two custom tenor guitars I own. (The other is a Beau Hannam with Australian Blackwood back and sides. They sound and play differently and I love them both.) Kinnards are wonderful instruments.
    Last edited by mds725; 10-07-2018 at 06:16 PM.

So far, my recently acquired Kinnard Series 2 tenor is my favorite to play. It's Indian rosewood back & sides with Sitka spruce top. The neck and radius fretboard fit my hand perfectly. The sustain goes on forever, so much so the harmonics set up with a down-strum with the following up-strum is wonderful. But the thing that I like the most is the clarity of the notes. Pure and sweet. I can honestly say, that a 4442 E chord sounds beautiful on this Kinnard!

Rosewood/spruce is my favorite combination of woods for pure quality of sound. With koa a close second.

My Mike Periera solid myrtle and MyaMoe soild koa tenors are tied for second place.

Overall, this would have to be my "Ziggy" baritone by Jay Lichty, so much more resonant than any other ukulele or guitar I have ever played. The video shows Neal Chin playing my exact instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJAMHLyXbg
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Yes Luis only build tenor size.
    I don’t think you will ever see a lfdm in a uke festival
    Brenda

Please participate in our Mike Lynch tribute thread :
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...Tribute-Videos

KoAloha. I have different sizes and styles, but I love playing any of them. My second choice would be a banjo uke - great sound.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Overall, this would have to be my "Ziggy" baritone by Jay Lichty, so much more resonant than any other ukulele or guitar I have ever played. The video shows Neal Chin playing my exact instrument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJAMHLyXbg
    Wow Rainer, now I know why you like your Lichtys so much
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Having never sat and spent much time with a fancy uke, I prefer my Cocobolo uke over any others. I love the tone, and it's just plain fun to play.
    I do plan to spend some time with a couple of LoPrinzi ukes at TBUG next month. I lust after one, as several of my well heeled friends own them (one gal has 4).
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

In order:
    Beau Hannam Tenor - Redwood top, Koa back & sides, Camino de Santiago inlay. The Beau Hannam is way my #1. Tone, sustain, playability, and beauty are all exceptional.

Blackbird Clara - loud, balanced, and every string can be heard clearly.
    Pono ATD - Great sound and amazing value
    KoAloha Imaikalani 6 string (who doesn’t love a 6 string)
    Martin T2K - I paid for the name.
    Vote like a woman!!!

“Justice is like a train that is nearly always late,” mused Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko.”

“62,400 repetitions make one truth.” - Bernard Marx, character in Brave New World, Alduous Huxley

Dig In-finity!

Thread Information