Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Favorite Ukulele You've Played

My soprano sapele KoAloha Opio with Living Water strings. Sustain, clear tones, and a pleasure to play.
    - Laura

My aNueNue Moonbird Concert. So new I haven't had time to do a NUD. It has a dulcimer like tone playing high on the neck. It has an unleashed quality, a big open tone that needs to be tamed a bit at times.. if that makes any sense. Playability and intonation are about as good as I've experienced.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

the ukes and year of acquisition:
    Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor 2016
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano 2016
    Blackbird Farallon with sound port 2017
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert 2018
    aNueNue Moonbird Spuce/redwood concert 2018

I’ve only ever handled 6 Ukuleles. The very first was a Mahalo, and I knew I didn’t want one of them. But it helped me have perspective on the size of the instrument. Then I purchased a Kala pineapple Soprano and a Ohana Soprano for my daughters. I got a XS Soprano, a Kala Baritone, and a Fred Shields Super Concert . . . hands down the Fred Shields wins! Maybe someday I’ll get to play some of these other fine instruments, but until then, the FS reigns supreme!

My Les Stansell Baritones are something special.. but they ar every different than my tenors. I have sold the ones I do not like so hard to pick a favorite. It is like asking to pick your favorite child

Quote Originally Posted by Joyful Uke View Post
    Was that the Moon Bird?
    Yes! It was hard to give back ...

I've also picked up two different Collings at jams. They're mighty sweet as well. And going to be hard to come by, sadly.
    Martin C1K • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

After 10 years playing it, my favorite is my G-String Baritone. I tune it DGBD (tarot patch) and mostly fingerpick. Bought it here in Hilo while taking a slack key uke class at the local cultural center. As I recall I had to decide between that one and a Martin Baritone at a similar price. I’ve never regretted the decision. Thats it in my sig below.

I'm working on a new, friendlier, more clever signature.

Quote Originally Posted by ukuleleabe View Post
    It's tough to say for sure, but right now I'm absolutely loving my Pono baritone.

It's got a rosewood body and cedar top. I might be loving it because of the that or the lower tone vs a tenor.

But anyway right now that's my favorite right now.
    I love my Pono Baritone, too! It’s a spruce top.

CC623A38-B5F0-472F-9061-02304C4F2996.jpg

I am torn between favorites new and old... so I'm gonna bend the rules and give you two.

Currently I am enamored with my new 2018 18" scale ebony/redwood Ono tenor. It sings real pretty with a wide, resonant voice and glorious, ringing overtones. It has been designated as my new go-to for fingerstyle.

However, there is another favorite of mine that I know a whole lot better: the 2011 16.5" scale Ecuadorian caoba/cedar Jesus Ortega tenor I purchased here on the marketplace ~1 year ago. It has a crisp and complex cedartop sound. The action on this uke is the best I have ever played. The strings are set frighteningly low and the frets seem tiny compared to those on my other fretted instruments. Somehow that translates to a remarkably excellent playing experience with almost no pressure required to fret--barres, stretches, and complicated shapes are just comparatively effortless on this uke.

Right now they are both strung up low g with Oasis warm strings (I couldn't resist doing a head-to-head comparison) but I think I'll be switching the Ortega back up to high G with some slightly brighter strings.

I would not hesitate to recommend instruments from either of these craftsmen.

I have a Kinnard Series 2 Tenor that I purchased 5 years ago. I completely stopped looking for a better uke after purchasing it. It plays amazingly well. It has the best feel of any instrument that I own. The build quality is exceptional. The buying process was great as well.
    Makala Dolphin
    1950s Martin Style O
    Kinnard Walnut Tenor

Easy. KoAloha - any model.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Thread Information