Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Ukulele You've Played

It's tough to say for sure, but right now I'm absolutely loving my Pono baritone.

It's got a rosewood body and cedar top. I might be loving it because of the that or the lower tone vs a tenor.

But anyway right now that's my favorite right now.

A close second would be the DaSilva James Hill tenor. I've played a few. They're a joy to play.
    -Abe (ah-bay)
    Teacher/musician/podcaster
    ukuleleabe.com
    Abe’s Ukulele Podcast

I own a baritone and three tenors. Two Ponos, a Kala and a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor. I can honestly say that my favorite is "whichever one I happen to be playing".

Am I fickle? Yes and no. They are all very different, in sound, feel and looks. Picking one up after playing another may take a few minutes to get myself merged into the groove of its distinct personality and set of features. But there's truly nothing I don't like about any of them. A while back, I commented somewhere on these threads that I found the one that has a radiused fretboard most challenging to play, but that's no longer the case. I've never played a custom ukulele. But I'm a happy camper.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Moore Bettah. I first played one at the Music Emporium in Lexington, Ma about 15 years ago. (at the time, Chuck sold through them). I finally got one of my own around 4 years ago. Easily the best sounding and most comfortable playing uke (Also the best looking!).
    Second I would place my David Gomes spruce and cocobolo tenor, which I recently restored.
    Third the Talsma quilted mahogany Martin style 3 concert which is a great player...………...and which, I stupidly sold!

I guess my Kamaka HF-3 is the most satisfying to play of any I've tried. Although I played a Koaloha Tenor at HMS which was also wonderful. But different ukes make me happy in different ways. I've had some really good sessions on the porch plunking away at my S1 and taken my OXK to some weird awesome places. But in a vacuum, I've got to give it to my HF-3. That's my desert island uke (at least, y'know, this week).
    4strings4lyfe!
    Kamaka HF-3
    Martin S1, T1K, & OXK
    Kala baritone, WaterMan, & U-Bass
    50's West German upright bass
    Fodera Monarch bass

After going through 16 tenor ukes in the first year I played a little over five years ago, I tried and bought a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE cedar top, acacia cutaway tenor electric that Mim recommended. I actually traded three of mine for it. I was very impressed by its projection and presence, it's my go to gig uke. After that I culled my collection down to four and in the last couple of years I've added 4 more, mostly Bruce Wei customs and a ready made, all that I really like, but the Godin Multiuke is right up there next to the Kala. Come to think of it, the Lanikai Thinline Bocote cutaway electric I recently bought is also very impressive.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

For me, I am split between a koAloha koa concert and my Iriguchi (birdseye maple). Both have rich tones and a comfortable feel. I went with the Iriguchi because it was pretty and unique. But based tonality, I would have been happy with either.

Favorite Ukulele You've Played
    Whether you've owned it or not, what is your favorite ukulele that you've played? What size was it?
    I guess it has to be my most expensive, a KoAloha solid acacia long neck concert with Living Water Low G concert strings - that's when my UAS stopped, when I got that one.

Second to that one is my Ohana solid mahogany long neck concert with Living Water Low G concert strings, when I found/bought this one I knew that I had finally found my uke size.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Anuenue concert I borrowed at a jam one week. Everything about it -- feel, sustain, tone -- perfect.
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Anuenue concert I borrowed at a jam one week. Everything about it -- feel, sustain, tone -- perfect.
    Was that the Moon Bird?

Collings for the sheer all round experience

Thread Information