Favorite Ukulele You've Played

It's tough to say for sure, but right now I'm absolutely loving my Pono baritone.

It's got a rosewood body and cedar top. I might be loving it because of the that or the lower tone vs a tenor.

But anyway right now that's my favorite right now.

A close second would be the DaSilva James Hill tenor. I've played a few. They're a joy to play.

I own a baritone and three tenors. Two Ponos, a Kala and a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor. I can honestly say that my favorite is "whichever one I happen to be playing".

Am I fickle? Yes and no. They are all very different, in sound, feel and looks. Picking one up after playing another may take a few minutes to get myself merged into the groove of its distinct personality and set of features. But there's truly nothing I don't like about any of them. A while back, I commented somewhere on these threads that I found the one that has a radiused fretboard most challenging to play, but that's no longer the case. I've never played a custom ukulele. But I'm a happy camper. ;)

bratsche

Moore Bettah. I first played one at the Music Emporium in Lexington, Ma about 15 years ago. (at the time, Chuck sold through them). I finally got one of my own around 4 years ago. Easily the best sounding and most comfortable playing uke (Also the best looking!).
Second I would place my David Gomes spruce and cocobolo tenor, which I recently restored.
Third the Talsma quilted mahogany Martin style 3 concert which is a great player...………...and which, I stupidly sold!

I guess my Kamaka HF-3 is the most satisfying to play of any I've tried. Although I played a Koaloha Tenor at HMS which was also wonderful. But different ukes make me happy in different ways. I've had some really good sessions on the porch plunking away at my S1 and taken my OXK to some weird awesome places. But in a vacuum, I've got to give it to my HF-3. That's my desert island uke (at least, y'know, this week).

After going through 16 tenor ukes in the first year I played a little over five years ago, I tried and bought a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE cedar top, acacia cutaway tenor electric that Mim recommended. I actually traded three of mine for it. I was very impressed by its projection and presence, it's my go to gig uke. After that I culled my collection down to four and in the last couple of years I've added 4 more, mostly Bruce Wei customs and a ready made, all that I really like, but the Godin Multiuke is right up there next to the Kala. Come to think of it, the Lanikai Thinline Bocote cutaway electric I recently bought is also very impressive.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

For me, I am split between a koAloha koa concert and my Iriguchi (birdseye maple). Both have rich tones and a comfortable feel. I went with the Iriguchi because it was pretty and unique. But based tonality, I would have been happy with either.

Favorite Ukulele You've Played
Whether you've owned it or not, what is your favorite ukulele that you've played? What size was it?

I guess it has to be my most expensive, a KoAloha solid acacia long neck concert with Living Water Low G concert strings - that's when my UAS stopped, when I got that one. :)

Second to that one is my Ohana solid mahogany long neck concert with Living Water Low G concert strings, when I found/bought this one I knew that I had finally found my uke size. :cool:

Anuenue concert I borrowed at a jam one week. Everything about it -- feel, sustain, tone -- perfect.

My soprano sapele KoAloha Opio with Living Water strings. Sustain, clear tones, and a pleasure to play.

My aNueNue Moonbird Concert. So new I haven't had time to do a NUD. It has a dulcimer like tone playing high on the neck. It has an unleashed quality, a big open tone that needs to be tamed a bit at times.. if that makes any sense. Playability and intonation are about as good as I've experienced.

I’ve only ever handled 6 Ukuleles. The very first was a Mahalo, and I knew I didn’t want one of them. But it helped me have perspective on the size of the instrument. Then I purchased a Kala pineapple Soprano and a Ohana Soprano for my daughters. I got a XS Soprano, a Kala Baritone, and a Fred Shields Super Concert . . . hands down the Fred Shields wins! Maybe someday I’ll get to play some of these other fine instruments, but until then, the FS reigns supreme!

My Les Stansell Baritones are something special.. but they ar every different than my tenors. I have sold the ones I do not like so hard to pick a favorite. It is like asking to pick your favorite child

After 10 years playing it, my favorite is my G-String Baritone. I tune it DGBD (tarot patch) and mostly fingerpick. Bought it here in Hilo while taking a slack key uke class at the local cultural center. As I recall I had to decide between that one and a Martin Baritone at a similar price. I’ve never regretted the decision. Thats it in my sig below.

It's tough to say for sure, but right now I'm absolutely loving my Pono baritone.

It's got a rosewood body and cedar top. I might be loving it because of the that or the lower tone vs a tenor.

But anyway right now that's my favorite right now.

I love my Pono Baritone, too! It’s a spruce top.

CC623A38-B5F0-472F-9061-02304C4F2996.jpg

I am torn between favorites new and old... so I'm gonna bend the rules and give you two. ;)

Currently I am enamored with my new 2018 18" scale ebony/redwood Ono tenor. It sings real pretty with a wide, resonant voice and glorious, ringing overtones. It has been designated as my new go-to for fingerstyle.

However, there is another favorite of mine that I know a whole lot better: the 2011 16.5" scale Ecuadorian caoba/cedar Jesus Ortega tenor I purchased here on the marketplace ~1 year ago. It has a crisp and complex cedartop sound. The action on this uke is the best I have ever played. The strings are set frighteningly low and the frets seem tiny compared to those on my other fretted instruments. Somehow that translates to a remarkably excellent playing experience with almost no pressure required to fret--barres, stretches, and complicated shapes are just comparatively effortless on this uke.

Right now they are both strung up low g with Oasis warm strings (I couldn't resist doing a head-to-head comparison) but I think I'll be switching the Ortega back up to high G with some slightly brighter strings.

I would not hesitate to recommend instruments from either of these craftsmen.

I have a Kinnard Series 2 Tenor that I purchased 5 years ago. I completely stopped looking for a better uke after purchasing it. It plays amazingly well. It has the best feel of any instrument that I own. The build quality is exceptional. The buying process was great as well.

Top Bottom