Thread: What ukulele to buy

Default What ukulele to buy

I can play guitar and i want to play ukulele. Which one i should buy?
    Wonder Rose Play Free and earn tonn of cash!

Hi there. Any chance of a bit more detail?
    Eg. What is your style of playing? Do you like to sing and strum along? Do you want to play solo fingerstyle? What is you budget? I think the short answer is you should buy the uke that just feels “right” when you pick it up and try it out. That might be a cheap and cheerful one, or an expensive solid wood one. Get yourself along to a music store with a good range of ukes and helpful knowledgable staff and you’re pretty much there . Good luck.

Welcome to the Underground, and yes to what has been stated above: We'll need some more details. What is your budget, and what size of ukulele do you want to get? There are basically four different sizes: Soprano, Concert and Tenor with different scale lengths, but all tuned to GCEA like the top four strings of a guitar capoed at the fifth fret (the chord shapes will be the same as on a guitar, just five steps higher, i.e. a D Chord on the guitar is a G chord on the uke). And one larger size called Baritone tuned to DGBE.

If you want something really different from guitar, with that typical jingle jangle sound associated with the ukulele, get a Soprano. If you want to be closer to a guitar, get a Tenor or even a Baritone. Use linear tuning instead of reentrant tuning to be even closer to the guitar sound. Or get a Concert that sits somewhere in the middle.

As for price range: My recommendation would be to skip the really cheap stuff off the internet and invest in a decent, well-made instrument (300-500 Dollars). Pono, KoAloha Opio or Romero Creations are the brands that come to mind. If you want to stay below this price range, don't settle for anything below a Kala or Ohana. These are the brands that are well regarded with experienced ukulele players worldwide.

It's also important that you buy from a place that offers a full setup, because they will check and correct action, intonation, sharp frets, etc.

I always suggest a concert scale, Kala or Ohana, unless they've played a stringed instrument before - as you play guitar, think about a tenor too, a bit less cramped on the fret board than a concert.

If your price point allows for it, get a solid top or an all wood uke.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

A good question indeed, i was thinking about the same of years but never had the courage to ask it from someone.

Don't be afraid to ask questions on here, there are lots of friendly knowledgeable people willing to offer advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Msad View Post
    I can play guitar and i want to play ukulele. Which one i should buy?
    Quote Originally Posted by rosabella View Post
    A good question indeed, i was thinking about the same of years but never had the courage to ask it from someone.
    I just think something is going on here.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Yes, you could be right - I reported the 'adverts' in their signatures to the mods earlier on - I'll leave it with them.

If you can get into a local store and try things out do that. The soprano, concert and tenor may have the same standard tuning gCEA, although there are other. The standard tuning for a baratone is DGBE, which should look familiar.

For the most part I have only used standard tuning. The only other tuning I have used is A D F# B. There are others.

Start out with a standard tuning and go for it.
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany
    Beaver Creek Maple Flame Tenor
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert
    Beaver Creek Soprano Mahogany

Well spotted guys. I wondered why there was so little detail in the OPs post!

Thread Information