Neck back bow during build

Pat Eaton

Reaction score
What do you think is the best way to fix a 5mm back bow on the baritone ukulele?

Heat gun and bend back?

Carve a channel and Install a rod under the fingerboard?

Remove back with heat and straighten?

I noticed after I glued the back on the neck has a back bow. I should have held the neck flat during drying, oh well. I have to chalk that up to experience.
View attachment 112590

The attachment is "invalid." Try again, as a picture or pictures might be helpful.

Hmmm, maybe this one will work.

Upon further inspection the change in direction happens where the neck meets the body. If i place a straight edge along the neck it sits about 3 mm above the location of the bridge.
I don't think it is as bad as first thought. I may need to use a higher bridge position.

neck.jpg

I have actually had this happen to me and it aint good. You can get away with it if you are willing to put up with a high action. The saddle has to raised up high enough so that the strings don't buzz on "the hump" at the neck body connection. It will play though. The problem is that the action will be weirdly high at the upper frets and the sound will be effected to some extent also to say nothing about intonation issues. Another effect I found was that the high saddle puts more torque on the bridge and top and bridge tends to rotate more than usual which ain't good either because as the saddle rotates forward it changes your scale length ever so slightly and can change your scale length compensation.

All that said, if it was me I would string the thing up and see how it plays. The only other option I see is to remove the neck and sand out the angle so that you get a plumb fit which is always an adventure in destruction and anxiety. Sorry, I know it sucks, but if it makes you feel any better I have done the same thing not once but twice.

Part remove the back and re-glue..Thats what I would do...only the upper bout section needs to be unglued.. then clamp it face down and reglue.

Looks like the neck needs to be reset too.
I go for a straight plane of neck/upper bout.

Top Bottom