Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Wood(s)?

Default Favorite Wood(s)?

What are your favorite wood(s) for fingerpicking? For strumming?

Could be one wood, (like all koa), or a combination, (like walnut with a cedar top, for example.)

I really don't have an answer for that. I was daydreaming about getting in line for a build, but have no idea what woods I'm daydreaming about. LOL.

I realize that the builder will make a difference too, but would guess that there are some generalizations that people can make regarding the sounds that they like.

I had some time off today, and have been enjoying listening to sound samples, but still can't answer the question. (I prefer to fingerpick, so probably like a little warmer sound?)

I guess I just need to go listen to more sound samples. Not a bad way to spend some time. :-)

It does have a lot to do with the builder. An inexpensive spruce top can get a bad rap for being bright, brash and harsh. I like warm but I own 4 spruce topped tenors and two spruce topped baritones. They all have that sweet mid range sound with good bass and articulate highs. The thing I really like about spruce is the long sustain and good projection. It can be successfully paired with rosewood, maple, cocobolo, zircote etc for a brighter more powerful sound. Walnut, mahogany and koa all work well with a sonic coloring more towards softer sweeter mids.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Like Dave said a good sound mostly comes from the builder. It also depends what sound you’re looking to hear. Builders have their favorite combinations. A popular pairing is sinker redwood and Brazilian rosewood. I’ve got 1 uke built with that and looks/sounds terrific.

From a visual perspective, I love looking at curly and figured woods: koa, mango, mahogany, Katalox, maple, cherry,.... and have beautiful sounding ukes made from these.

A while back I talked to Steve Grimes about a build. His favorite wood pairing was sinker redwood and Brazilian rosewood. But at the time he was building an all quilted mahongany that turned out very warm with bright clear trebles. Ended up buying the quilted mahogany and was delighted with the sound and looks.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Just to add to the conversation because you asked about strumming vs fingerpicking. My all round favorite wood combo is spruce over rosewood, it strums and finger picks well. Next is spruce and myrtle for combined strumming and fingerpicking. Then redwood and walnut, better sounding fingerpicked. Redwood is an interesting sound board wood as it has the brightness of spruce with the warmth of cedar.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Koa and cedar. As for having one built, I doubt I would ever do that because I could never decide on all the details, in addition to the wood.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

The two ukes I like best are my solid acacia & my solid mahogany (both tenor scaled concert bodied) - I like warm strong tones, & I get that with these two, although the acacia is a little bit brighter - both fitted with Living Water Low G fluorocarbon strings.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I love Koa, especially curly koa. My concert and tenor are both solid koa and I love the tone. I do want a spruce or cedar top one day but it'll be a while before I will buy a new uke,

my new favorite is my London plane uke. It is similar to mahogany. I have down-tuned it to CFAD so that its tone isn't just warm, but rather hot.42235715_1870024039754585_6308754487590780928_o.jpg

I’m hoping Adirondack spruce top with African Blackwood back/sides will be my new favorite, once the uke arrives. Should be soon. Until then, my favorites are all Koa, and (spruce or cedar) over (cocobolo or walnut).

I think the finish also contributes. Oiled vs. "Natural" Satin vs. High-Gloss. "Barely there" open-pore misted satin; multi hand-rubbed gloss coats; "wet look" heavy gloss; non-reflective flat matt.

My all-time favorite wood combination for all around sound is a rosewood body with spruce soundboard. I am not familiar enough to judge Bear Claw vs. Sitka vs. Englemann or "Moon" Spruces. Torrefied sounds really nice, but I haven't done a comparison.

Then there's the strings and how they contribute...

Thread Information