Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Wood(s)?

I travel too much to ever consider BRW as part of a wood set. I tend to like bright and therefore I have three Ukes using harder backs and sides but then again I have another 3 that produces warmer tones (2X Mahogany and one Tasmanian Blackwood. My newest I expect to fall somewhere in between as it is maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar( brighter than WRC). In truth they all are fabulous instruments so I can never see myself sticking to one wood set combination.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Satin Box Maple and Alaskan Yellow Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Then there's the strings and how they contribute...
    Good point. I changed strings on one ukulele the other day, (from Martins to Living Water), and now have a new ukulele. LOL. It very noticeably changed the sound. I know that makes a difference, but I was surprised at how big of a difference it made for this ukulele.

What are people's thoughts on all cherry or all walnut? How about a cherry top/walnut body?
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    What are people's thoughts on all cherry or all walnut? How about a cherry top/walnut body?
    Is this a combination that people haven't experienced? Just wondering why RafterGirl didn't get any responses.

I've seen a few all cherry and all walnut ukuleles. There was an earlier post, I think by Ubulele (deleted??) that mentioned cherry and a few others as under appreciated tone woods. I've never seen a ukulele with a cherry top, paired with a different wood body. Most of the time your see spruce, cedar, and redwood tops paired with other woods for the body. Just curious about different combinations.

For the most part I've seen cherry described as a medium/bright tone wood, and walnut described as a warmer tone.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

My favorite Pono tenor is solid mahogany -- side & back & soundboard are definitely in love with each other. It's 1 of those once-in-a-blue-moon lucky combos on a factory-made instrument. Just as there are sometimes "lemons" even among top-of-the-line luthier-made ukes, so also are there occasional "peaches" among factory-made ukes. This one is a peach!

Now then... I just ordered an el cheapo (Caramel) all-rosewood baritone from China. I hope I get lucky. 2 Questions:
    1) I wonder where China gets its "rosewood" -- certainly not Brazil, right?
    2) Does anyone know what kind of sound I can *possibly* expect from a rosewood top?

Thread Information