What to you do with all that wood?

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I have a gazillion ideas in my head and a pile of oak left over from the time when I thought everyone and their dog would kill for a ukulele made in oak! Well here's how that ended:

43392917_10156818713846031_3566307226442268672_o.jpg

Nothing like a ukulele but I have 60 of 'em for sale... and yes, those are plain ebony bridge pins (which I no longer use).

Note to self. Just buy koa in future.

Last edited:
I'm also scaling back Pete and thinking of going into African thumb pianos. You might consider it. A heck of a lot easier than building ukes and who knows, they might be the next big thing.

I have a gazillion ideas in my head and a pile of oak left over from the time when I thought everyone and their dog would kill for a ukulele made in oak! Well here's how that ended:

View attachment 112600

Nothing like a ukulele but I have 60 of 'em for sale... and yes, those are plain ebony bridge pins (which I no longer use).

Note to self. Just buy koa in future.

An oak uke?

Do you have any sound samples?

I've read of Oak guitars. I have a pile of well dried White Oak stacked on top of the shelves in my garage. The thought has occurred to take some of it and machine it down to a suitable thickness, but the grain gives me pause. I've read of people using colored pore filler, but have no clue how that might work on a uke.

Oak makes a great acoustic guitar. I made this one some time ago. Quartered white oak with a dark pore filler. There's no reason it shouldn't make a fine uke. Selling them might be a different matter.

index002032.jpg index002031.jpg

Beautiful guitar, and interesting layout on the peghead.

Top Bottom