Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Parallel builds

Thanks for the detailed explanation, bazuku. I'll keep that in mind once I get to that point.

Working on the bridge for the baritone ukulele using a jig I built to shave the bridge blank to thickness and rout the saddle slot. The clamps with the orange handles are to limit the travel of the router bit. Inching closer to the finish line!

DSCF0078.jpgDSCF0079.jpg

Almost there. The tenor ukulele in the back has had many hand rubbed thin coats of shellac and Tru-Oil, and Iím just waiting about another week to let the finish harden further before attaching the bridge and doing final setup. I just glued on the baritone uke neck this morning. It will take about another month to go through the finishing process with it.

I think from here on out, Iím going to stick to building one instrument at a time. Some people can successfully build multiple instruments at once, but I have so much other stuff going on that these projects have taken a lot longer than I anticipated.

progress 012820.jpg

I like to build multiples because I can turn to another one while glue is drying which is just a wait step. Keeps things moving along... I'm not sure I'm familiar with using a duel shellac/tru-oil finish. Just goes to show you that shellac is a versatile product. Will be interested to see the final product.

The tenor ukulele is finished. I just added the strings and brought it to tune at around 11 today. Given how fast new strings go out of tune, I’ll be retuning constantly for the next week or so. This will be the first of two ukes I complete this weekend. The baritone has been finished and the bridge glued in place. Just need to craft the nut and saddle and install the tuners.

The soundboard is Western Red Cedar. The back, sides, headplate, and heel cap are Ovangkol. The bindings, end graft, bridge, fretboard, and inlay are all Rosewood. The soundport ring is Black Walnut. The road has been long, sometimes frustrating, but ultimately quite satisfying. I’m going to give myself some time away from instrument building while I concentrate on other projects.

DSCF0109.jpgDSCF0107.jpgDSCF0111.jpgDSCF0112.jpgDSCF0113.jpg

Looks good Tony. Looking forward to what you think of the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    Looks good Tony. Looking forward to what you think of the sound.
    Thanks. It's not as warm as I expected (first time using WR Cedar). Hard to say otherwise, as I can hear the strings going slack as I play. I used the first 3 strings from an Oasis GPX+ Carbon Classicals set for 1-3, and the G is a silver-wound "A" from an Augustine Red set. I'll just keep retuning and playing frequently this week to get the strings to settle. I considered using a set of Aquila nylguts I have laying around. I'm still quite green at figuring out what strings are best for which woods.

We have music. The steel string baritone ukulele is finished. It definitely has quite a different tone from other baritone ukuleles I’ve played. It was the most difficult project I’ve done to date; when I designed the layout, I included several features that I’ve never done in a construction. There were definitely some challenges to overcome, but I’m pleased with how it turned out.

The top is torrefied Sitka. Back, sides, and inlay are Bay Laurel. Bindings, end graft, bridge, fretboard, heel cap, and headplate are Rosewood. Soundport ring and rosette are Black Walnut. Waverly Tuners and Waaverly Snakewood bridge pins.

I’m not planning on doing any more tandem builds. I know of guys who regularly have multiple instruments under construction, but I think I’m better focusing on one at a time. Next build is going to be a small scale guitar which will include a soundboard made from old growth Red Spruce harvested here in the mountains of WV over 30 years ago. But first, I’m going to take some time off from building to work on some other projects.

DSCF0114.jpgDSCF0115.jpgDSCF0116.jpgDSCF0117.jpgDSCF0118.jpg
    Last edited by tonyturley; 02-03-2020 at 04:29 PM.

One more

DSCF0120.jpg

Hey Tony it looks great, any chance for a sound sample?

Thread Information