Which would you choose?

Kamaka, because it's a Kamaka...

I would choose whichever ukulele felt the best to play, & whichever had the sound I enjoyed the most.

Have you had a chance to play them both?

Based on having played both before, I'd personally pick the Kamaka. However, when it comes to sopranos, this is asking like whether I'd rather drink a warm, flat soda or drink a warm, flat beer. I'd pick the beer, I guess?

I don't mean to suggest that they are bad instruments! They are both very good instruments to be sure, and I enjoyed having the chance to play both. I just prefer a much louder, brighter, more modern sound- for a point of comparison, when it comes to sopranos I am a Koaloha fan.

The Kiwaya is very much like a vintage Martin... its sound was pretty boxed-in, in my personal experience. The Kamaka is a little less so, but still on the traditional end. Still I think the koa contributes to a brighter sound, as does the build which as with most Kamakas is pretty awesome in quality. That's why I would go in that direction if it was me. But again, that's just me!

Really though, the question is this... what sounds best to you?

Based on having played both before, I'd personally pick the Kamaka. However, when it comes to sopranos, this is asking like whether I'd rather drink a warm, flat soda or drink a warm, flat beer. I'd pick the beer, I guess?

I don't mean to suggest that they are bad instruments! They are both very good instruments to be sure, and I enjoyed having the chance to play both. I just prefer a much louder, brighter, more modern sound- for a point of comparison, when it comes to sopranos I am a Koaloha fan.

The Kiwaya is very much like a vintage Martin... its sound was pretty boxed-in, in my personal experience. The Kamaka is a little less so, but still on the traditional end. Still I think the koa contributes to a brighter sound, as does the build which as with most Kamakas is pretty awesome in quality. That's why I would go in that direction if it was me. But again, that's just me!

Really though, the question is this... what sounds best to you?

I like your comparisons lol. I actually have a tenor that has a modern bright sound which I prefer also. I just felt like a classic soprano was in my future and was curious what some owners thought. They have very different sounds for sure. I sort of lean towards the Kamaka vs the Kiwaya but at this point I'd take either.

I think you'll have to try them. I love a Kiwaya soprano, and have never played a Kamaka, but I'm sure either would be great, depending on you. Neither are warm, flat, anything. They just don't suit everyone. They're both classics. They both have impeccable builds. I don't think a Kiwaya sounds boxed in nor particularly like a vintage Martin, though. I think they have a bigger sound, almost more like a concert.

I would choose Kamaka. They are delicate, light, precisely built with excellent koa.

Apples and oranges... depends on if you like mahogany or koa! I suppose "get both!" isn't the answer you are looking for :)

I play mainly Kamakas - I think I've owned seven over the years. I have to say of all I've owned, for some reason my least-favorite was the HF-1 (I sold it to fund the HP-1 that is now my go-to reentrant uke). I might have just had a dud; not all ukes are created equal. FWIW, the Kamakas I now own are the HP-1, HF-1L longneck, and HF-2 concert. I've owned several HF-2s and an Ohta-San as well.

I don't have the Kiwaya KTS-4, but I have the next step up KTS-5. It's amazingly lightweight, impeccably built, and LOUD for a tiny little soprano. It's a very different sound and feel than Kamaka - not better, not worse, just different, and for me it's a keeper. I find I like it best for single-note playing rather than chords - it's great for campanela! In terms of craftsmanship, it's probably superior to Kamaka (and to nearly every other factory uke I've ever picked up).

Over the years I've concluded that my preference is koa over mahogany. I also know that for my kid-sized hands, Kamaka necks are the most comfortable. So, if I had to pick just one, I'd probably opt for the Kamaka. Not because it's a better instrument, but because I prefer the sound and feel. I hope you are able to try both in person before buying, that would really be the best test.

Which one feels best? An instrument is as much about player comfort as it is about sound. If satisfied wih the sound, then the "comfort factor" is next. Comfort is a combination of how relaxed it is to play, how well it fits to the body, and how much of a smile it brings when picked up. The brand name is immaterial unless it is important that others see the logo on the headstock.

Top Bottom