Moore Bettah Auction at HMS TheUkuleleSite

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
There is a new auction going on at HMS' TheUkuleleSite.com for a Moore Bettah tenor made from "The Tree" Mahogany back & sides, Ulu (breadfruit) soundboard. And the usual inlays and details.

It's listed on the last page of the tenors, or by searching Moore Bettah.

Bidding is up to $7400 USD and ends Saturday, Oct. 13th.

It's worth taking a look at this beauty. (But make sure you don't drool on your keyboard... :drool:)

Way too rich for me. But fun to dream about.

WOW! That's some gorgeous quilted mahogany and handiwork, good job, Chuck! :shaka:

Last edited:
Wow, really beautiful wood, and incredible sound. Someone is going to end up with an astounding ukulele.

I have fun watching the auctions, even though I'm not a potential buyer. Thanks for alerting us.

As Cornfield said, I'm glad that Chuck was able to get back home.

When I watch these auctions, I always wonder why people are bidding so early in the auction. Maybe somewhere here can explain the strategy?

Can't at for sure, but I imagine some people snipe at the end to get a bargain and some people bid up to scare off some of the legitimate competition. Then again some bid with no intention of buying knowing he/she will be outbid just to say they bid on an item.

If the item is sought after and well publicized, I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to snipe it for less.

John

$21,000!
If anyone here got the ukulele, enjoy. It was one of the most beautiful sounding ukuleles I've heard.

Yikes!

Well, I'm glad Chuck Moore is back up and making the ukuleles he wants to make. Until he gets fully operational, or he remains in limited creation mode, I wish him the best. His instruments are pretty exceptional.

And, yikes!

Sold for a meager $21,000.00. WOW!!!

That's GREAT for Chuck!!!:shaka: I'd like to give a BIG SHOUT out to bruddah Andrew (Kitakis - HMS/theukulelesite.com) for hosting this auction with the beautiful pics and video demo with Corey!!!

Mahalo nui loa to bruddah Andrew, Corey, Zach, Joel, and the rest of the HMS crew for everything you all do for the worldwide ukulele community!!!:worship:

Sold for a meager $21,000.00. WOW!!!

If you go to the HMS listing and click on the number of Bids you can see the bidding history. Two guys went toe to toe, back and forth at about $10,000 just before it ended. I wonder if the winner said "what the hell just happened". Hopefully he actually plays it because it sounds great.

Last edited:
If you go to the HMS listing and click on the number of Bids you can see the bidding history. Two guys went toe to toe, back and forth at about $10,000 just before it ended. I wonder if the winner said "what the hell just happened". Hopefully he actually plays it because it sounds great.
Can somebody post the link? Google isn't finding it any more.

I have to say I'm very skeptical the winner is a player. Seems the gold rush speculation to me. I know many people scoff at spending 4 figures on a uke but 5 figures (and over double that) strikes me as pure lunacy. "Congrats" to the winner and all, but sorry dude (or dudette), you are nuts! :p

Love it! Chuck gets paid well and HMS does well and someone who can afford it gets a piece of playable (very!) art. What's not to like? $21K is not out of the question when you consider it an investment for less than you can buy a medium quality car which loses value instantly. (I'm a "cup is half full" type...)

Exactly my point about the winner not being a player - at least not with this one - how could you risk putting a scratch on a $21k investment?

It is all relative to your net worth, my $2,100 instruments get played out all the time and get risked of being scratched. Lots and lots of very rich people in this world driving $350,00 cars and boating on $1,000,000 yachts.

Personally I think the buyer spent more than twice what is worth, based on the last 4 MBU being auctioned for around $10,000. Making it a poor investment. The buyer must have liked the inlays and sound and it was worth it to them

Last edited:
It is all relative to your net worth, my $2,100 instruments get played out all the time and get risked of being scratched.

That's the crux of the matter. I have a $250 uke and a Moore Bettah that I got used for $5,000. I planned to only use the MB at home in a guarded, safe environment. What happened was: I use the MB almost all the time. The playability and the sound are so good for my soul that I'm willing to put some wear on it. I travel with it on planes and in the car. Basically, what the hell. I'm living this life now.
true extra: actually the "playability" on both ukes is the same. It's the SOUND that resonates so much with me from the MB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom