Moore Bettah Auction at HMS TheUkuleleSite

What happened was: I use the MB almost all the time. The playability and the sound are so good for my soul that I'm willing to put some wear on it. I travel with it on planes and in the car. Basically, what the hell. I'm living this life now.

That's what having a great ukulele is all about. They are definitely good for our souls.

Random thought: My state now requires that all on-line purchases, no matter where the seller is located, charges sales tax. Would the buyer of the $21,000 MB have to pay sales tax? That would add $1680 to the bill, making it $22,680 based on what sales tax is in my area. I guess if you can afford $21,000, you can afford the added sales tax too, though.

That's the crux of the matter. I have a $250 uke and a Moore Bettah that I got used for $5,000. I planned to only use the MB at home in a guarded, safe environment. What happened was: I use the MB almost all the time. The playability and the sound are so good for my soul that I'm willing to put some wear on it. I travel with it on planes and in the car. Basically, what the hell. I'm living this life now.
true extra: actually the "playability" on both ukes is the same. It's the SOUND that resonates so much with me from the MB.

I wasnt aware you had one of Chucks beauties, congratulations. That in a nut shell is what having a "hobby" is all about, something that is good for the soul. I know guys who spent $40,000 on a fishing boat and another $40,000 on a truck to pull it with. But they love to fish, it is good for their soul.

In that context $21,000 for a Moore Bettah is just fine if it makes someone happy. Life is short but we can make it very wide if we fill it with the right things.

You've got it exactly, flailingfingers. I take my MBUs (one at a time!) wherever I go--and I always put it out there that they're open for anyone to play for a while (I *do* check for scratchy belt buckles first!). The sound *is* good for the soul--and I love to share 'em. Frankly, not often do people have a chance to play a high-quality instrument and it's fun to be able to offer that so they can try it for themselves. Note that mine are what Chuck used to call his "Not So Basic" models so they don't have oodles of art--they're just lovely to look at and even lovelier to play and listen to.

I'm hoping to be able to spot the winner of this ukulele at a future ukulele event and have a chance to hear it in person. Good on HMS for using the "non-sniping/reset at two minutes" auction system and good on Chuck for heading back into his shop to make stupendous ukulele for all of us to dream of.

You've got it exactly, flailingfingers. I take my MBUs (one at a time!) wherever I go--and I always put it out there that they're open for anyone to play for a while (I *do* check for scratchy belt buckles first!). The sound *is* good for the soul--and I love to share 'em. Frankly, not often do people have a chance to play a high-quality instrument and it's fun to be able to offer that so they can try it for themselves. Note that mine are what Chuck used to call his "Not So Basic" models so they don't have oodles of art--they're just lovely to look at and even lovelier to play and listen to.

I'm hoping to be able to spot the winner of this ukulele at a future ukulele event and have a chance to hear it in person. Good on HMS for using the "non-sniping/reset at two minutes" auction system and good on Chuck for heading back into his shop to make stupendous ukulele for all of us to dream of.

Hi Tonya
I remember you walking all around the Ukulele Festival in Waikiki with your MBU in your hand with no case(I think it was raining to)...would I do that? maybe not but folks know what you were carrying and took care when you let everyone play it...Thanks for doing what you do...:)

the person who got this new MBU is very lucky person..this is one of Chuck's nice ones that he builds for himself so he got a big piece of Chuck Moore the Artist and Great Person (I know you know what I mean) if you have the money to bid go for it somethings only come around a few times In a lifetime

btw I did get to see and play this uke it is so nice!! Thanks Andrew

Congrats to Chuck and the new owner!

Last edited:
Exactly my point about the winner not being a player - at least not with this one - how could you risk putting a scratch on a $21k investment?

Pianos regularly go for more than that and get played. There is a Pianist who drags a Baby Grand to Washington Sq Park and hopes to buy a newer one for close to the MBU price to drag to tha Park and play. Musicians after a sound want to produce the best music with the best instruments they can afford, and ukes are considerably less expensive than other instruments, so the BEST ukes are still affordable in relation to other instruments.

Personally I think the buyer spent more than twice what is worth, based on the last 4 MBU being auctioned for around $10,000. Making it a poor investment. The buyer must have liked the inlays and sound and it was worth it to them

Chuck had mentioned on Facebook that Ulu (the soundboard wood for this uke) was a favorite and spectacular tonewood, that this was his last remaining set, and that it was a hard tonewood to find. Add that to the lure of The Tree (back and sides), and $21,000 makes a lot more sense. This ukulele is extremely rare, even for a Moore Bettah ukulele. Congratulations to Chuck for building and selling such an amazing instrument, and to Andrew and, of course, to the winning bidder.

Very true on both points

Absolutely agree with you both. Not what I would do myself but I am thrilled for The buyer as it was their choice to pay that purchase price and I am thrilled for Chuck Moore and the crew at HMS for how it worked out for them.
I also enjoyed watching the last hour of the auction play out.

Chuck had mentioned on Facebook that Ulu (the soundboard wood for this uke) was a favorite and spectacular tonewood, that this was his last remaining set, and that it was a hard tonewood to find. Add that to the lure of The Tree (back and sides), and $21,000 makes a lot more sense. This ukulele is extremely rare, even for a Moore Bettah ukulele. Congratulations to Chuck for building and selling such an amazing instrument, and to Andrew and, of course, to the winning bidder.

All good points, with the rarity of those woods it was a very special and unique instrument. Based on that the instrument was obviously worth it to the buyer and that is all that counts

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Dave that a collector or maybe just someone who loves that ukulele bought it. For all we know, the inlay conjured up fond memories.

I doubt that a professional musician, especially one who makes a living playing the ukulele would buy one of Chuck's ukes through an HMS auction. $21k is a ton of money for most working musicians. The other part of the equation in performing is electronics. Everything is run through amplification, whether piezo or mic'd up. Not to say that a pro wouldn't drop $5k or so on an instrument, but there is a point where there is no additional value when performing. In a live setting you are totally dependent on processing the sound.

For someone not making a living playing, or doesn't need the money, it doesn't matter. For them it is just personal enjoyment through playing or hanging it on a wall. Regardless it is a great ukulele.

John

Tonya,

I enjoyed meeting you in Hawaii (at Hawaiian Music Supply). Chatting with you, Len and Corey was one of the highlights of my quick trip to Oahu. Did you ever post your photos from the trip anywhere? Would love to see them.

Steve

The winner plays really well actually. He's built a handful of really beautiful ukes too.

Tonya,

I enjoyed meeting you in Hawaii (at Hawaiian Music Supply). Chatting with you, Len and Corey was one of the highlights of my quick trip to Oahu. Did you ever post your photos from the trip anywhere? Would love to see them.

Steve

Okay, Steve, I tried to take this offline but your message box is too full to accept another. Short answer: I'll be writing it up soon~ At least before I head to Hawai'i again in three weeks!

The winner plays really well actually. He's built a handful of really beautiful ukes too.

That is great to hear. That ukulele sounds so beautiful, & is going to the perfect home, it sounds like.

Okay, Steve, I tried to take this offline but your message box is too full to accept another. Short answer: I'll be writing it up soon~ At least before I head to Hawai'i again in three weeks!

Oops! Thank you for the heads up on my message box. Now cleared!

I guess is the potential of auctions and how they're so difficult to judge before they start. You get two people who want something really badly and boom!

Top Bottom