Going to Waikiki

lfoo6952

Reaction score
Aloha my friends:

I will be going to Oahu in mid-December on a business trip. We'll be staying at the Hilton Village in Waikiki. Beside looking forward to some good Hawaiian music, I'd like to do some sightseeing and eat some good food.

Can you recommend some off-the-beaten path food places to eat, as opposed to tourist traps?

What historical or nature sights are worth seeing?

Regards,
Luke

take with grain of salt, or drop of shoyu (soy sauce) :)

all on Kapahulu Blvd - Leonard's Bakery for Malasadas [I like plain, but they have lots of options];
Starbucks at intersection of Mooheau (traveling toward Waikiki) [because my daughter, Jennifer, is the Manager there];
Rainbow Drive Inn a few businesses before the Zoo which is on Kalakaua Ave, the main street that runs through Waikiki. Just head toward Diamond Head, then turn left onto Kapahulu Blvd.

those should all be within walking distance from the Hilton Hawaiian Village, however you will be walking a couple of miles in the heat of the tropical Hawaiian sun! (unless it's raining... but that generally doesn't last very long)

If you want a shorter walk in the other direction toward Ala Moana Beach Park, there's the Makai Food Court of the Ala Moana Center. That's where I generally hang out to play for the lei-making group who are at the Waikiki end of the Food Court near Cinnabon and Aja. Speaking of Aja, lots of good boxed lunches at reasonable prices. I generally get the small bento with Roast Beef and Gravy over rice with 2 vegetable sides, about $9, drink separate. Then join the aunties at the table and most likely there will be a few ukulele players making music :)

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
Visit the Kamaka factory specifically! The tour is an amazing look at the history of the ukulele in Hawaii.
Also I know you said Waikiki, but if you have the means/time, try to make your way up to the North Shore! See the crazy winter waves (and maybe some of the Triple Crown if you have time) AND visit Hawaii Music Supply/theukulelesite.com - just outstanding people and nothing cooler than a shop full of ukes.

I'll second Leonards (tourist-trap but worth it) and recommend if you do make it up to the North Shore, visit Ted's Bakery up by Sunset, Waimea Valley (and visit the authentic heiau overlooking it by pupukea - but be respectful), and the shrimp trucks up near Kahuku!

Haleiwa and Waialua are two of my favorite towns anywhere. Surf season Haleiwa can be a little crazy, but still super fun to explore - way better than town IMO and totally worth the drive. If you make it up there, visit Haleiwa Bowls for epic Acai, Kua Aina Burger, and Cafe Haleiwa for great breakfast (with the best surfers in the world lol).

Last edited:
you can visit the new Ukulele Site at Salt in Kakaako on Ala Moana Blvd in Honolulu(opening in November) there are many places to eat there at Salt other than shopping.. Highway Inn which serves Hawaiian Food there along with Moku and many other small eating places, taverns, coffee shops etc..fun spot in upscale Kakaako...

The Ukulele Site still in Haleiwa if you drive to the North Shore...

Last edited:
After snorkeling Hanuama Bay, a short counter-clockwise drive took me to Waimānalo where I stumbled upon Ono Steaks and Shrimp Shack for lunch. I would go back there if I make it back to Oahu sometime.

Marukame Noodles on Kuhio. Try to avoid lines at busy times. Curry udon, great and cheap.

Hannosuke tempura in Yokocho food court on Seaside. Outstanding tempura.

Rainbow Drive-In short walk from Waikiki on Kapahulu where locals eat. Try loco moco.

I live in Waikiki. What I recommend is inexpensive. Waikiki can be very expensive.

Da Spot in Ala Moana Shopping Center. About a nice half an hour walk from Waikiki.

The Ukulele Site is the best uke shop in the world but up on the North Shore.

Last edited:
Marukame Noodles on Kuhio. Try to avoid lines at busy times. Curry udon, great and cheap.

Hannosuke tempura in Yokocho food court on Seaside. Outstanding tempura.

Rainbow Drive-In short walk from Waikiki on Kapahulu where locals eat. Try loco moco.

I live in Waikiki. What I recommend is inexpensive. Waikiki can be very expensive.

Da Spot in Ala Moana Shopping Center. About a nice half an hour walk from Waikiki.

The Ukulele Site is the best uke shop in the world but up on the North Shore.

I guess you did not read my post above...The Ukulele Site opening a 2nd store in Kakaako in November...:) closer to folks in Waikiki and in town

Wasn’t sure when it was to open. I heard that Corey Fujimoto is part of it. Not sure whether Kalei Gamiao also, two of the finest players around and really nice unpretentious people.

Last edited:
Wasn’t sure when it was to open. I heard that Corey Fujimoto is part of it. Not sure whether Kalei Gamiao also, two of the finest players around and really nice unpretentious people.

Zach and Eli will be at the new store..Corey and Kalei will be there a few times a week with others..great location..the shop under construction right now

I second North Shore, particularly Waimea Valley. It's a plant and bird sanctuary with a waterfall you can swim under at the end. I loved going up there, but be careful of the peacocks stealing fries right out of your mouth lol. I also second touring the ukulele factories. I went to see Kamaka, Koaloha, and G-String (before he relocated to Vegas) while I was stationed there.

Take your chances with the swimming, beautiful as it may seem. There are warnings of types of bacteria ia in all Oahu waters. I do see tourists swimming at the base of Manoa Falls. Definitely don’t go in with cuts.

No need to worry about sharks st Waikiki. The reef protects.

Eat at Town restaurant and order the gnocchi it’s amazing. Don’t eat at Roy’s, overrated expensive tourist trap.

Have a Zip Min at the Zippy's McCully on S. King St.

I haven't been to Oahu in years always preferred Kauai and BI for our annual visits. But this spring they were sooo rainy. So now I think we should go to Oahu in November and I want to visit K factories and uke stores and all the great places we were before. Hope the GF can find a good deal.

I did the same trip over 5 years ago! Strolled to the top of Diamond Head from Hilton Hawaiian Village, did a surf lessons in Waikiki, best snorkeling was somewhere other than Hanauma (quite a few sad dead zones)... The bus was $1 & I rode it away from Honolulu, around all of Oahu, stopping in a few places Haleiwa for snacks/shopping... HMS is there but that trip was before I ever thought to pick up a uke.

BTW there's a uke shop in Honolulu that has fun looking free daily lessons...

We also flew to Maui. Instead of getting a car & hotel, we rented a camper van & went all over... Top of Haleakaala, to Hana Maui (great brunch at hotel there) to Red Sand Beach, to that other beach w naked people & fire hulas & 7sacred pools & more... There were lots of roadside banana bread stands & I did my best to stop at ALL of them.

Last edited:
Spend some time at the Bishop museum if you can. World class and very well worth it. You'll learn much more about Hawaii than the average visitor.

I have ot been to the Bishop Museum since I was a kid..lets go the next time you visit Oahu...:)

Top Bottom