Going to Waikiki

I'd love that. I haven't been in a dozen years. You can easily spend hours there. it's cool that the UGH show will be held there this year.

it will be a Hawaii Ukulele Guild only event...not builders from the mainland etc...i am sure it would be nice if you can come by...i can hang with you and Bonnie...:)

Bishop Museum is a definite for me in a few weeks. I *love* that place! From the outside walls right to every display inside. Well, I've never done the planetarium....

The Harbor Pub is great for an inexpensive but good breakfast. Located near the Waikiki Prince Hotel. Avoid the local IHOP - expensive and mediocre.

The planetarium at the Bishop is great, a lot about navigation using the stars, and what can be seen from Hawaii.

The best Chinese food I've eaten is Kin Wah in Kaneohe on Kamehameha Highway. Don't be fooled by what the place looks like, the food is great. Parking is sometimes a problem but its worth it. The restaurant is located one floor below one of Roy Sakuma's studios. Another great spot is the Pastelle Shop on School St. Like Kin Wah it's nothing to look at but its usually my first stop when I visit. I'm flying in this Wednesday and as soon as I get my rental we're heading there to pick up dinner before heading to my brother in law's house in Kailua.
We also love the sweet potato pie at Ani's Bake Shop in Aiea. I've never had a dessert as delicious as this pie.
Take the tours at Kamaka and Kanilea. I've done both and ended up ordering a tenor from each place.
No visit is complete without a visit to HMS on the North Shore. I call it Ukulele Heaven!
Lot's of good local music as well. Led Kaapana plays at Honey's. Check his schedule to see if he's playing there while you are there. He's fantastic and a real nice guy.
MMStan on the forum lives in Honolulu, message him. He knows all the good places to hear music and all the good places to eat. Stan is a very good friend and we always get together when we visit. He's a great source of information and a great guy.

both kamaka and koaloha factory is literally right next to you.
theres a ukulele shop in Hilton Hawaiian village. pricy but kool high end stuff,

what do locals eat thats easy
SUSHI, go genkis (low quality) or kuru ( a little better quality)
Zippys (zip pac etc)
Gen alamoana shopping center.. Korean Barbecue all you can eat, Theres line out the door everyday,Must be good.
Ichiriki good shabu shabu place.
you want lobster? go fook yuen in McCully center , its a Chinese restaurant very good stuff.
good Pho places everywhere.
Desert Malasadas at leonards is good for tourist or locals always go there
What goes good with your malasada, get a Boba tea drink, Tea boss, tesspresso, taste tea etc. theres a lot.

After this thread was started I got a big craving for Oahu, so we booked a trip leaving in about 3 weeks. I hope to have a chance to visit Kamaka & Koaloha factories (do we need to make appointment?), and also Ukulele Site on North shore - my GF will like the Giovannis truck that I think is close by the store lol.

We never went to the Bishop Museum - is that easily accessible with The Bus?

Yes, Giovanni's truck is near the Ukulele Site (HMS). call first (HMS) to see if Corey and/or Kalei are there :)

No need to make reservations but check to see when they give their tours. I believe Koaloha's is around
1p after their company lunch! :) I don't remember when the Kamaka tour is.

PS at Koaloha, please let them know that Uncle Rod (STRUM, Seattle) says, "Hi!" :) Thanks, or Mahalo!

keep uke'in', and have a great and safe trip over and back!

PS if you go to the Ala Moana Center, please visit the Makai Food Court and go to the Cinnabon end and
look for a group making paper leis and possibly playing music. I generally hang around with them when
I'm back in HNL. If they are there, please greet them for me... you may get one of their leis as a gift :)

We never went to the Bishop Museum - is that easily accessible with The Bus?

Yep, it takes a little bit of time (about 45 minutes, non rush hour, as I recall) but is quite easy from the Waikiki area. Be aware, though, that at the museum end, you must walk through a residential neighborhood for a little over one block.

I'll be on Oahu next weekend (are you there, by chance, at that time Uncle Rod?) and will be doing a lot of the "favorite" things mentioned in this thread at that time. Gotta check and see who's playing at the Kani Ka Pila Grille--but I'm guessing that the loud noises from the striking workers may perhaps drown out this outdoor venue if it's not settled by next weekend...

Top Bottom