Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birthday - Barron River Sugar Box/Yellow Cedar Tenor - Final Build Photos

Default Birthday - Barron River Sugar Box/Yellow Cedar Tenor - Final Build Photos

Received the final build photos from Allen McFarlan today. It definitely exceeds my expectations. Actually no it didn't as I totally expected Allen to craft another masterpiece for me and he didn't let me down. Soon to be carried to my anxious hands by express kangaroo from the other side of the continent.

Here is Allen's blurb that he posted on Facebook today:
    Some of the most extraordinary Curly Australian Satin Box paired with Curly Australian Blackwood, Ringed Gidgee and Cedar. Rubner tuners, a MISI Air pickup system and finished in high gloss polyurethane. The fret board has a 40mm nut width at the clients request, and strung with Saverez and flat wound Tomastik-Infeld strings.

BR Blond 1.jpg
    BR Blond 2.jpg
    BR Blond 4.jpg
    BR Blond 5.jpg
    Last edited by hollisdwyer; 10-10-2018 at 02:57 AM.
    "All worthwhile things in life should be easy to learn but hard to master"

Boat Paddle ML tenor - Red Spruce over Cocobolo
    Barron River 8 string tenor - All Honduran Quilted Mahogany
    Collings UC2 Concert - All Mahogany
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Baritone - Master Grade Ebony and AAA Red Spruce
    Beau Hannam Custom Tenor - Vintage Hand Rubbed Sun Burst all Tassie Blackwood
    Barron River Tenor - Sugar Box Maple and Alaskan Cedar
    Hoffmann Lutherie - Concert - Angry Owl Ebony and Cedar

That's a beauty!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

That's stunning Hollis. Would love to hear a sound sample when you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by stevejfc View Post
    That's stunning Hollis. Would love to hear a sound sample when you have the time.
    I’m going to have to overcome my shyness and technical ineptitude to do that, but I will.

It's beautiful!
    Susie

Wow! Hollis, that is a stunner. I love how the blue inlay on the headstock ties together with the blue in the rosette. Really great design on the whole ukulele. The Rubner tuners look great. The body and the soundboard work really well together and the binding working with the bridge is perfect. Not to mention how the rosette touches pull everything together. Just terrific. Understated elegance. It is a perfectly executed incarnation of your concept of a light-colored wood instrument. (I can't bring myself to call it a "uke".) You are one lucky hombre. Congratulations. That is an heirloom quality masterpiece.

And kudos to Allen McFarlan of Baron River. What a magnificent build.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 10-10-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Gosh, it has turned out even better than I had envisioned while following the build. Can’t wait to hear it.
    A huge congratulations Hollis.

You are right Hollis, Allan does work that is always of the highest standard and you can expect nothing but excellence from him. I really love everything about it, the woods, colours, grains, shape and contours......all beautiful. Congratulations. You realize this is not helping me to resist getting a Barron River.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frets alot View Post
    It's beautiful!
    Thanks Susie.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    Wow! Hollis, that is a stunner. I love how the blue inlay on the headstock ties together with the blue in the rosette. Really great design on the whole ukulele. The Rubner tuners look great. The body and the soundboard work really well together and the binding working with the bridge is perfect. Not to mention how the rosette touches pull everything together. Just terrific. Understated elegance. It is a perfectly executed incarnation of your concept of a light-colored wood instrument. (I can't bring myself to call it a "uke".) You are one lucky hombre. Congratulations. That is an heirloom quality masterpiece.

And kudos to Allen McFarlan of Baron River. What a magnificent build.
    Definitely all kudos should go to Allen who so beautifully interpreted my vague request for a “light coloured instrument that would conform to CITIES regulations so I could travel internationally without any hassles”.

Quote Originally Posted by Spicysteve View Post
    Gosh, it has turned out even better than I had envisioned while following the build. Can’t wait to hear it.
    A huge congratulations Hollis.
    Thanks Steve. I first told Allen the same thing then changed my mind and said that I actually expected that level of excellent craftsmanship but just didn’t know what it would actually look like.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    Man, those Barron Rivers are such handsome ukes—ritzy rather than glitzy. With such striking woods, you don't need much else.
    Love that “ritzy rather than glitzy”.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    You are right Hollis, Allan does work that is always of the highest standard and you can expect nothing but excellence from him. I really love everything about it, the woods, colours, grains, shape and contours......all beautiful. Congratulations. You realize this is not helping me to resist getting a Barron River.
    Thanks Dave. This is actually my first ‘blonde’instrument ever. Allen did an excellent job of combining the various elements that he recommended. I sourced the simplest Rubner tuners ( a brushed brass) as he didn’t have any Rubners in stock for solid headstocks at the time,only for slotted) and I also sent my current Frankenstein string set combo (from yours and others recent recommendations). As to resisting a Barron River, forget it, resistance is useless.

Thread Information